First Saltwater Tank (150+ In Wall)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The gph in the fuge depends on how it is set up. You would want more flow if it was not linear to that of your return. In other words, with a return separating the skimmer area and the fuge or the fuge a separate entity you would need more flow to reduce stagnation; however, if it is inline just after the skimmer and before the return the water flow is being pushed by the overflow->skimmer and pulled by the return. Confused yet jpetter? lol

Personally I like Version 1 or Version 3 with some modifications. Do you have Sketchup? If so I need to create a couple versions for a 140g I'm building so I can email you the designs just to peruse for ideas? :)

The gph in the fuge depends on how it is set up. You would want more flow if it was not linear to that of your return. In other words, with a return separating the skimmer area and the fuge or the fuge a separate entity you would need more flow to reduce stagnation; however, if it is inline just after the skimmer and before the return the water flow is being pushed by the overflow->skimmer and pulled by the return. Confused yet jpetter? lol

Personally I like Version 1 or Version 3 with some modifications. Do you have Sketchup? If so I need to create a couple versions for a 140g I'm building so I can email you the designs just to peruse for ideas? :)

I almost started planning this one on Sketchup, but I've not used it yet. I would like to see your design.

I follow you guys now. So if the fuge is inline a less powerful pump is need and thus less power consumed? I might have to rethink.

Here is the plan so far:
22152-albums480-picture3310.gif

That looks like a pretty good plan to me. The only thing I would not use is the sponge filter. They tend to collect a lot of gunk. If you do decide to use it be prepared to clean it a couple of times a week.

Using carbon via passive filtration is not as efficient as using it via active filtration. It will work but not as well. Since most of your water will flow through that area of the sump it will probably work fine for you.

I too would eliminate the chemical filtration within the baffle. You'd be better off teeing the return to a canister or even: http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem.aspx?category=Two_Little_Fishies_Phosban_Reactor_150_Saltwater_Aquarium_Supplies_Filters_Inline___Specialty_Filters_Phosphate_Reactors&vendor=Two_Little_Fishies&SearchStr=tl4311&action=view&idProduct=TL4311&idCategory=FIFRISPR&child=TL4311
As for prefilters, I like/use filter socks. In case you are unaware, normal baffle spacing is 1" between and there is no need for the baffles to reach the top of the aquarium. I'd rather be safe than sorry by not completely "boxing" in any compartments.

I use a phosban reactor same thing as the link James provided. You can put what ever media in it you want. Great little device. I run mine with a MJ 1200

Good advice on the active filtration. That will leave more room to play with in the sump as well.

I think the concrete blocks for a base will not be such a good idea. The floor is not perfectly level as it is now. An all wood construction with supports running top to bottom will be a better solution. I'm also going to use 2x4's nailed together instead of single 4x4s.

Just make sure you have plenty of space in the room where the tank will be. I put a 55 gallon in the wall, and it is great, but when I built the room for the tank, I wish I had made it larger. I didnt think about water storage for partial changes and all the other stuff that you accumulate.

Just make sure you have plenty of space in the room where the tank will be. I put a 55 gallon in the wall, and it is great, but when I built the room for the tank, I wish I had made it larger. I didnt think about water storage for partial changes and all the other stuff that you accumulate.

The back of the aquarium will sit in the storage area part of the basement. This should provide room for mixing tubs, etc as well as access to water and drians.

150 Gallon 48x24x30

I found a 150 gallon for $250, but the size is tall. This will limit the run room for the fish and limit the workable area above the tank. What are thoughts on using this for a FOWLR?

New Plan and Possible Tank

I've updated the plan with full wood supports instead of concrete blocks. I'm also talking to a guy who has a 220 gallon 72x24x29 for a great price.

It's an hour and a half away, but I can pick it up by truck. Any issues with transporting a tank that size?

22152-albums480-picture3354.jpg

I'd take at least 4 people with 6 being even better lol. That should be a fairly heavy tank and no need for anyone to mess up their backs. If you don't have a proper truckbed, rent a uhaul and find some strong wood as a base because most trucks have uneven liners. I'd also take large blankets for cushioning.

I'd take at least 4 people with 6 being even better lol. That should be a fairly heavy tank and no need for anyone to mess up their backs. If you don't have a proper truckbed, rent a uhaul and find some strong wood as a base because most trucks have uneven liners. I'd also take large blankets for cushioning.

We will need to stand the aquarium on end to get it down the basement stairs. Would this put too much pressure on the ends of the tank?

I've had two good prices on 200+ gallon tanks, both of which may be too big or too heavy to move into the space I need. lol.

Hmmm, how thick is the glass? Can't you just throw it down the basement steps and silicone the end result back together? XD lol. Is the basement so steep that you cannot slide it lengthwise along its bottom frame or just a very odd angle downward?

72x18x24 On The Way...

The 220 fell through, but I have a 135 gallon tank only that should be on the way. $150 + gas delivered. I'm hoping it will get here Saturday.

The guy I'm getting it from sounds like he has been working in SW for a while. He has a 5' tall skimmer he built.

22152-albums480-picture3372.jpg

I'm thinking of building in a Calfo style overflow. The way it is going in the wall I will be able to support the hang on part of the overflow. The returns from the sump will be on the sides of the tank.

Updated Plans with Calfo Overflow

I've updated my plans to include the Calfo overflows. This is the back and side view. The piping is all 1" except for the 2" inlet for the closed loop.
I'm not sure if I will need to have stand pipes in the overflow if I'm draining from the bottom of the box. It seems the noise would be none to minimal.

22152-albums480-picture3380.jpg
22152-albums480-picture3379.jpg

Back
Top Bottom