First Saltwater tank has disappointed me.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jones1483

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was excited to get my first salt water aquarium. I got a 75 gal FOWLR. I have four fish. Two ocellaris clowns, A Fox face Lo and a green mandarin. I am extremely disappointed in the activness (sp)of my fish. Seems like they rarely come out from behind the rocks. The mandarin seems to be the most active and the clowns do not hide behind the rocks so they are always visable but never really swimming around the tank. When I imagined my first tank, I imagined fish swimming the length of the tank and back all day long. These little boogers sleep all the time. Am I doing something wrong? I read somewhere that if the water temp is too warm the fish will not be very active, my tank stays around 79 to 80 degrees but I really dont see how it does cause my two heaters are set at 72 and my house is usually 76 degrees.

It all depends on the look and feel you are going for and from the sounds of things I would say you would be much happier with a predator tank then a peaceful fowlr...and for a fish that swims all day you need to look into tangs but with your tank you will be limited to just a couple including the kole tang which some still wouldn't agree with that being under a 6' tank

I agree that you got the wrong fish if you want constant action. Maybe kole tang, chromis, firefish....etc.

spoonman said:
I agree that you got the wrong fish if you want constant action. Maybe kole tang, chromis, firefish....etc.

Yea, the lo should be a bit more active though. Mine is new to my tank but still seems more active than yours.

I agree with spoon, a kole tang would be great. Also, most type of wrasse are really active!

Thanks everyone. I guess I should have asked before I purchased the fish. I just assumed all would be out and swimming around

It's the choice of fish. Mandarins are very slow swimmers and hug objects, the foxface should be a little more active but they are skittish sometimes, and clowns will choose an area or thing to host and hover around the area or thing so that's why they aren't moving I bet.

Back
Top Bottom