Hi hi!! Ok, so we have a 36 gallon bow front tank that came as a kit with heater and filter. im sure they are crap, but im rolling with em at first to see if they work out. I have been to several LFS
trying to find my 'go to' store. Everyone has been advising me NOT to get LR
. Saying I didnt need it for the size tank blah blah. So, I got 40lbs live sand, some decor since I dont have the rock, and bought water. I got all that in and started up the filter/heater. The water completley cleared up after about 6 hours. I used the hydrometer the next morning and the gravity was at 1.016. I had my husband go back to the place we bought the water and the guy just gave him a huge bag of salt and said "dont pour in the whole bag'...Ummm, ok. I took about 4 tbsp., disolved in some tank water and poured it in the filter. This AM the gravity was 1.018. How much more salt do I need to add? I out 4 more tbsp. this AM, but made them heaping tbsp. Should I just keep adding bit by bit? I dont like that store we got the water from, I dont feel that they are informative enough for a noob. It is just really nice that they are next door to my husbands work, so we figure we will just get our water there and nothing else. I found a place I really like for other stuff, including fish.
So my questions are:
1. Keep adding salt slowly until i get the good reading?
2. What happens when my tank is established and I get water from this place and its not the right gravity?
3. Once i get the gravity at the proper level, I can add dead shrimp? How many?
4. Do i do any PWC
during the cycle process? If so, how often?
5. I have an ammonia test kit and a 5 in 1 test strips as well, any other test materials i need
6. Anything else I should be looking for?
Sorry im new. I know I will have a ton more ??? for you all.
Thanks for the help!!