Fish Additions: Suggesstions, please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dansemacabre

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello to everyone,

I've got the quarantine tank for my new 125gal fowlr almost ready. Here's a list of the fish I want to have and in what order I think I should add them:

1. Filamented Flasher Wrasse (2 or 3)
2. Neon Blue Goby (1)
3. Amphiprion Percula (2)
4. Green Mandarin Dragonet (1)

So my question(s):
Are there any other neat, yet peaceful, fish that may be able to replace the wrasse? I want something with some personality, but nothing that's going to bother my dragonet or my goby. The tank will (some day) become a reef tank, so for the time being, I'm not opposed to an angel. I'd like to keep a dwarf though, if I did, and I'd prefer a hardy species.

I'll take any and all recommendations. If you could tell me why you like the proposed fish, that would help me. I want all my fish to be happy and healthy, so for reference: tank is 125gal, 6' long, 1.5' wide, almost 2' deep. MH lighting, sump, Berlin XL Classic Protein Skimmer (I know it's oversized for the tank, but it does a wonderful job). Thank you! :)

If you are planning on the mandarin, I would skip any type of wrasse peaceful or not. They will directly compete for the mandarins food source. Day in day out they will hunt pods just the same.

A single Tang would do well in a 125 as would Anthias, Psuedochromis (not with shrimp), Chromis, Dartfish, Hawks (not with shrimp) and possibley even a reef safe trigger (pink tail, blue throat, niger and with caution crosshatch).

Cheers
Steve

How about a dwarf Angel like a Flame or a Coral Beauty? Wonderful fish!! :)
If you plan on inverts like shrimp, snails or hermits, the Wrasse may eat them.
Just food for thought (no pun intended). :wink:

Steve-s: thank you for such in-depth replies! always! There will be shrimp, and I love triggers, but I think I'm going to wait until I set up an aggressive tank in a few years. I really like the Anthias, but I hear they are difficult to care for? True?
I kinda like the Blue Reef Chromis and I've always liked the Purple Firefish Goby. I was just wondering if he'd not get along with my Neon Blue.

quarryshark & Atlarge: One of those would be my pick, but I kinda like the bi-color angel as well.

Thanks everyone!

Have you considered butterflies? they are challenging fish but very rewarding. Pearl Scales or Raccoons are fairly hardy. I love mandarin fish to, but would wait several months before adding this. they do best in well-established tanks. how about a yellow watchman goby? also cool. good luck and have fun shopping! Lando

dansemacabre said:
I really like the Anthias, but I hear they are difficult to care for? True?
The biggest challenge with Anthias is usually getting them to eat. It will also depend on the lighting you choose. They do better in lower lit tanks. They can also be kept (and do better) in "harems" like the wrasses you where interested in. I would suggest you check out each particular fish to see which ones are best suited for your eventual set up. There are just as many that will not adapt.

I've always liked the Purple Firefish Goby. I was just wondering if he'd not get along with my Neon Blue.
In a 125 gal, I'm sure it will be a concern. Smaller tanks could prove more challenging but they are rarely aggressive towards other species.

Cheers
Steve

yellow watch man goby is a vary cool fish. once he finds a spot ot hide you will not really see much of him. all i get to see is his face out of his rock. but when it is feeding time he will come out and hang like he is on strings. but any way he is a vary cool fish.

Yes, the pods are a-crawling...they look like little white specks running around on the glass and the tubing. But the mandarin will be the next to last fish added...the true perc pair will be the last, so as to try to limit some aggression on the part of the clows. Here are my final leanings. I think it will be a bit too many, so if you could recommend some quatities, I'd appreciate it:
(not in order)
1x Purple Firefish Goby
1x Yellow Watchman Goby
1x Neon Blue Goby
3x Black Bar Chromis (Chromis retrofasciata)*
1x Green Mandarin Dragonet
2x True Perc Clows (mated pair)

* - LiveAquaria says the Chromis do best in groups of 6 or more. That's kinda high, as I think what I want now is a bit intense in number. I know the watchman and the neon blue won't spend a lot of time in the water column, and that the mandarin spends all its time hunting on the rocks, but I'm a little concerned with bioload. The skimmer I have is grossly oversized for my tank, and it really does a good job, but I don't want to overdo it. So, how many total do you think I should cut, if any? I'd consider cutting the Chromis if need be, but I'd like the variety if at all possible.

To the Angel Promoters: I decided that I don't want to force them under the stress of relocation when I move to a reef tank. Perhaps I'll try them in the future, as I do like them, but for now, only peaceful 100% sworn reef-safe fish.

Thanks for all of the help! I'm off to do more research on my new selections.

Very thoughtful with the Angel, good luck in whatever you decide!! definitely do the Percs, great fish with a wonderful personality.!! :)

dansemacabre said:
* - LiveAquaria says the Chromis do best in groups of 6 or more. That's kinda high, as I think what I want now is a bit intense in number. I know the watchman and the neon blue won't spend a lot of time in the water column, and that the mandarin spends all its time hunting on the rocks, but I'm a little concerned with bioload. The skimmer I have is grossly oversized for my tank, and it really does a good job, but I don't want to overdo it. So, how many total do you think I should cut, if any? I'd consider cutting the Chromis if need be, but I'd like the variety if at all possible.
For a 125 gal what you have chosen is just fine and I think you would be fine with up to 8 of those chromis. A nice looking fish that will look great in a school. Just be sure the tank is about 6mo+ old and stable before adding that many at once.

Good luck
Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom