Fish aggression timetable

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ccantlin

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a clown trigger and dogfaced puffer right now both are right around 3-4in the trigger is slightly smaller. I am wondering when they normally get aggressive? I have them housed with three clownfish and everything seems to be fine. How long don't have to re-home the clownfish?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have seen triggers smaller than 3" that were already ferocious. I don't think anyone can answer that as it's up to the fish. They may never see the clowns as a food source, or they may eat them tomorrow. Clown triggers are nasty, generally speaking. The puffer, not so much- more so towards shelled critters than swimming mates IMO.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1435965997.029520.jpgall seems fine as of now.
Would getting an anemone help them out?

They are all happily in a 220g acrylic tank

I have a clown trigger and dogfaced puffer right now both are right around 3-4in the trigger is slightly smaller. I am wondering when they normally get aggressive? I have them housed with three clownfish and everything seems to be fine. How long don't have to re-home the clownfish?

I agree with Mr. X. The only answer to your question I am wondering when they normally get aggressive? is " When they feel like it." These fish just don't work on a time clock. They work on instinct.
It really boils down to how long you want to risk your clownfish. The longer they are in there, the chances go up that they MAY get eaten. It can't get any more exact than that. ;)

Hope this helps (y)

I don't think an anemone is going to stop that trigger if it wants to eat the clowns....they will have to leave the anemone eventually....

What about stress?
Possibly one of the greatest cause of disease in aquaria IMO.
Don't you think the clowns are stressed?
Even if they don't get killed couldn't this set up cause issue for ALL in tank?
I would re home them quick while all is still good IMO.
Focus on a more compatible group of fish.

Sounds good. I'll trade them in today. Possibly for a lunar wrasse?

Yes, or tusk, or dragon wrasse....as long as you have the water volume to hold all of them they will all work ;)

I"D go with a red coris wrasse over a lunar wrasse as they just seem to have a more colorful appearance and take care of itself towards a trigger
images

Back
Top Bottom