Fish Compatibility

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Roberz00

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey gang,

In my 30 gal SW FOWLR my loving wife purchased a lawnmower Blennie, Firefish, and a Orange spot/Diamond goby. The firefish has jumped 3 times and landed in the back section of my biocube and rescued each time, My question now is are they incompatible with ech other??? My LFS rep, who I trust and has yet to steer me wrong, said they shouold get aloong fine no worries. I dunno since I have seen this guy jump twice and my wife seen him go once. Any advie you can give me on this will be greatly appreciated as always.

TIA
Rob

They should be OK. Sometimes there is a rift between gobies and blennies but they should be OK. The only word of caution is keep an eye out on the lawnmower as I have seen many a one starve to death when the algea ran out. It`s kind of hard to get them to eat processed food. Hopefully yours is eating.

This is a copy from Innovator's signature.

Polypropylene Netting

I made one for our 50 and it really is easy and looks better than eggcrate.

They should be OK. Sometimes there is a rift between gobies and blennies but they should be OK. The only word of caution is keep an eye out on the lawnmower as I have seen many a one starve to death when the algea ran out. It`s kind of hard to get them to eat processed food. Hopefully yours is eating.

He has been pecking away at the algae wall on the back. You can see where he has cleared it off n such. Looks funny when he does it, like an old school rock n roll head banger. lol. He also has been grabbing at the meaty foods for the blennie and all 3 have been hittin the flakes (color enhancement and ALgae flakes) The algae flakes I dropped in a s a test one day and swoosh they all went and that was AFTER the regular feeding frenzy. I will keep an eye out on him tho. I am looking at maybe getting soome Cyclop-eeze. Any thoughts on that stuff???

This is a copy from Innovator's signature.

Polypropylene Netting

I made one for our 50 and it really is easy and looks better than eggcrate.

Thanks HN1 Ill look into htat idea for keeping himout of the rear sump area.. All I need is a little piece about foot long by 6 inches wide to cover that gap between the lamp housing and the overflow wall. Its a Biocube 29.

HN1, great link. That was the one that i was looking for because i want to do that with my 55G.

I claim no credit. It's all good on Innovator. :)

I agree with Mike, if you can't get the lawnmower to eat prepared food, take him back to the LFS or you may get to see first hand the poor guy starve to death. That is one of the many problems with getting a band-aid solution for our tanks....

Well it sounds like he is eating some so that is good news. I`ve never used cyclopeeze so I cant help you there.

I agree with Mike, if you can't get the lawnmower to eat prepared food, take him back to the LFS or you may get to see first hand the poor guy starve to death. That is one of the many problems with getting a band-aid solution for our tanks....

Well he wasnt a band-aid solution in that sense. I have an entire back wall of the tank covered for him to feast upon as well as some nice patches on the rocks that the crabs and snails cant get but he may be able too. He was purchased because my kids liked him and so did I, as we are trying to have a tank that isnt a "common" fish occupants. Most of the people in my area have the common fish like clowns and tangs. we take a family trip to the LFS every saturday and see whats new and unusual. the orange Spot/Diamond goby was purchased to supplement the 5 nas. snails and 5 something or rather snails. Gotta move the sand around ya know. lol

I will be keeping an eye on him tho since i as well as the rest of you good folks, dont want the guy to suffer from malnutrition and such hence my refrence to the cyclop-eeze. I haave read from many different sources that it is a great all around type thing to feed the fish.

Cool deal! I had a scooter blenny that didn't make it because I didn't do the research....even though I swear he was eating the frozen.
Keep us updated!

Well week 2 has come to an end and all is well still. my firefish has finally stopping taking leaps of faith and has gotten used to my 6 r old "flying" past the tank. I have cple shot os the tank setup and they barely show the "Lawnie" hanging on a rock. he has been pecking away at my "algae wall" and you can see he has been making headway on it. He has also been snappin' up the shrimp treats I add for th firefish and diamond goby. Its like he is a omnivore more that a herbivore. **shrug** Oh and when the camera comes out....they all go into "camera shy mode". lol

Attachments

• LMB in hiding.jpg
    LMB in hiding.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 66
  • Nassarius drag race.jpg
    Nassarius drag race.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 76
  • LMB in hiding2.jpg
    LMB in hiding2.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 69
  • No purple up type dosages.jpg
    No purple up type dosages.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 74
My lawnmower blenny never ate frozen food. If algae got low I rubberbanded a strip of nori on a rock. Was easily the healthiest, fattest fish in the tank. Nice tank btw. Those nassarius snails are awesome.

Mini update:

All is well and the fish seem to be getting along ok now. Still leery of each other espeially the blennie and goby. The blenny keeps one eye on the goby at all times pratically. The firefish has settled down but is still a little jittery if u move too quick past the tank but no more leaps of faith.

here is a picture I managed to get with all 3 fish in the shot. If u lok to the right youll see the OS Goby peeking oout from behind the rock.

Attachments

• fiefish.jpg
    fiefish.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 70
Back
Top Bottom