Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-18-2012, 12:55 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Fish first aid

Is there a list of things I should have on hand, like an emergency first aid kit, that treat the common illnesses that my fish could possibly get? I would like to be prepared, instead of making a frantic run to the lfs should something happen. Anything you have found to be helpful to have on hand?

Old 05-18-2012, 04:18 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Fish First Aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by apinkmanatee View Post
Is there a list of things I should have on hand, like an emergency first aid kit, that treat the common illnesses that my fish could possibly get? I would like to be prepared, instead of making a frantic run to the lfs should something happen. Anything you have found to be helpful to have on hand?
Hello apink...

The best way to keep your tank and fish illness-free is to change half the water in the tank every week or so. If you do this, there will be no time for pollutants like ammonia and nitrites to build up in the water.

I recommend adding a teaspoon of standard aquarium salt to every five gallons of your replacement water. Aquarium salt has been used for decades as a general health tonic for aquarium fish.

A natural health stimulant for aquarium fish is minced garlic. Feed a little two to three times a month as a treat.

Never use chemical medications. They'll stress your fish and can kill beneficial bacteria and can damage aquatic plants.

Be a good tank manager and you won't need a first aid kit.

B

Old 05-18-2012, 04:21 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

You don't use aquarium salt in a saltwater tank
^ Quoted from Porc Chop^
Hondatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 04:54 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBradbury View Post
Hello apink...

The best way to keep your tank and fish illness-free is to change half the water in the tank every week or so. If you do this, there will be no time for pollutants like ammonia and nitrites to build up in the water.

I recommend adding a teaspoon of standard aquarium salt to every five gallons of your replacement water. Aquarium salt has been used for decades as a general health tonic for aquarium fish.

A natural health stimulant for aquarium fish is minced garlic. Feed a little two to three times a month as a treat.

Never use chemical medications. They'll stress your fish and can kill beneficial bacteria and can damage aquatic plants.

Be a good tank manager and you won't need a first aid kit.

B

I do plan on keeping the water parameters good and doing weekly water changes. Thanks for the input!
Old 05-18-2012, 09:27 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

My first aid kit includes Formalin (for qt purposes mostly unless you don't qt) nitrofurazone (you can also use Maracyn), and Polyaqua (Kordon).
Innovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 04:06 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innovator View Post
My first aid kit includes Formalin (for qt purposes mostly unless you don't qt) nitrofurazone (you can also use Maracyn), and Polyaqua (Kordon).

That's very helpful! Thank you!
Old 05-20-2012, 10:10 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm not sure changing out 50% of the water every week or so is a good idea. If your biological filtration is good, their should be no ammonia at all. 10% should be plentiful. We are running a 180g with a sump and fuge. 10% max weekly with Tropic Marin salt in a reef tank. Seems like overkill to me. Just my opinion.
Old 05-21-2012, 02:59 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosesrblu1
I'm not sure changing out 50% of the water every week or so is a good idea. If your biological filtration is good, their should be no ammonia at all. 10% should be plentiful. We are running a 180g with a sump and fuge. 10% max weekly with Tropic Marin salt in a reef tank. Seems like overkill to me. Just my opinion.
Agree do about 10% every 1 our 2 weeks. I have messy eating predator tank. My water stays great.
Old 05-22-2012, 04:33 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosesrblu1 View Post

Yep...I definitely agree too!

Tags
fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com