Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-27-2011, 11:42 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

It is def about bio load but hpefully with it being a 4 ft tank there is lots and lots of live rock that's y I said no more fish cuz there is already a large strain on the bio load. Also the 55 wont hold the lifters long cuz they can grow fast and its only a foot wide so no room left to.turn around.

Old 11-27-2011, 11:43 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Puffers*

Old 11-27-2011, 06:03 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErrolP
I see a lot of people suggesting 125G+ tanks for some of these species listed above, however that is the size you will need if you plan to house them for its entire life. If the fish you have are small and you want to fit another one go for it, its your tank, just be prepared to move them to a larger tank when they get bigger. Triggers generally grow very slow IMO, puffers do not, and can grow around 3+ inches in 6 months. You can go on pretty much any saltwater forum and find someone on every thread disagreeing about tank sizes, just ignore it and do your own thing, just be responsible and make sure you bump up the tank size when the fish get bigger.
I couldn't disagree with this mentality any more. Its one thing to have a large predator tank and hold off adding a fish to that tank for its own protection. To add a fish to an undersized tank as its "permanent" home until it outgrows it is wrong and tells me you're in this hobby for all the wrong reasons. Why would you buy these fish and overstock your tank just to only have them for a few months? A fish should be housed in the appropriate sized tank no matter how small they are. Just because something is cool and you want one doesn't mean you should just get it because its small and it will be fine in your undersized tank. Its not fair to the fish and it could pose problems for your tank.
Old 11-27-2011, 06:05 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ignore the people who say your fish "need" this and that. You dont need it, its just preferred.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:41 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin.brehun
Ignore the people who say your fish "need" this and that. You dont need it, its just preferred.
If you're not gonna give educated correct advice why even bother? To the OP, I wouldn't add another fish, IF you don't have upgrade plans already id start working that out now. Not gonna say youre a horrid person for putting two puffers and two triggers in a 55, but sadly you have 2 choices, either upgrade in prob 6-12 months...or sell the fish. Sure they could survive in your 55 but its like shoving a human in an 8-10 room ....not good. Just make sure to rezearch, research and research again in the future
huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 01:37 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

Its not the same at all!!! Some of these fish were bred in small tanks in captivity. Alot of fish are made for captivity. No humans were.

And this isnt directed towards anyone inparticular but some people here are way too critical towards others. You can suggeat ideas but dont be mean about it.
Old 11-28-2011, 03:19 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin.brehun
Its not the same at all!!! Some of these fish were bred in small tanks in captivity. Alot of fish are made for captivity. No humans were.

And this isnt directed towards anyone inparticular but some people here are way too critical towards others. You can suggeat ideas but dont be mean about it.
Being bred IN captivity has absolutely no factor in this at all. It doesn't change the fact that you've pretty much told someone seeking help to ignore what experienced others advise of and do what he wants. That is in no way shape or form helping him at all. Be it as highly disputed, min tank sizes are there for 1 reason and 1 reason only, the health of the fish. I've never seen a tank bred fish with lower tank sizes when compared to wild caught. All im simply stating is if you're not gonna give good sound advice, then its not beneficial
Old 11-28-2011, 09:23 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin.brehun View Post

There are very very few species of marine fish that are bred in captivity and those that aren't aren't easily found. I am still looking for a tank bred bangaii I have contacted 3 breeders and none males aren't holding long enough. They are on the red list so I won't buy a wild caught one.
Old 11-28-2011, 01:20 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by huma-huma View Post
If you're not gonna give educated correct advice why even bother? To the OP, I wouldn't add another fish, IF you don't have upgrade plans already id start working that out now. Not gonna say youre a horrid person for putting two puffers and two triggers in a 55, but sadly you have 2 choices, either upgrade in prob 6-12 months...or sell the fish. Sure they could survive in your 55 but its like shoving a human in an 8-10 room ....not good. Just make sure to rezearch, research and research again in the future
I'm really surprised to read this after looking at your recent thread (I commented as well) Practice what you preach, please.

30g FOWLR Tank
8g Mantis Shrimp Tank
all4wheels2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 01:31 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Please educate as to how I need to practice what I preach...because I sure would like to know

Tags
fish ideas

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com