Fish in the Live Rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bearfan

Aquarium Advice Addict
Got an added bonus in my live rock - a watchman goby! I was looking at my tank yesterday and saw a little fish sitting on a rock. He must have hitchiked his way in a crevice. That's pretty neat, I hope he makes it through non-ideal conditions, but I don't exactly have a better situation to move him to.

Sweet. They must pack the rock really well to have had a fish survive the 3/4th of a day out of water.

Keep an eye on your ammonia and nitrite levels and the little bugger should be ok as long as they dont climb to terrible high.

if your worried bear fan i have room in a couple of my tanks to hold him if ya needed someone to !! im in plainfield and would be happy to help the little guy !

Heck, I don't even know if I could catch him, He only flashes out periodically and then is back in the rock for a time.

BTW, there was some water in the packaging with the live sand and live rock. I'll just have to keep the ammonia and nitrate levels in check.

kewl if you change your mind or what not feel free to call me im off work after today till after xmas so no access to email till then but feel free to call me if thing start to go south @708-203-**** !! and the cost for such a holding would be after ya got set up and settled like to trade ya mabe a few cups of sand !! i have ton of pods but like to see more sand worms/bugs in my fug heheheh and sounds like ya got a great shipment so your luck might be a bit better than mine has :)

edited to remove phone#, very unwise on a public message board. Use PM instead , steve-s

BTW, there was some water in the packaging with the live sand and live rock. I'll just have to keep the ammonia and nitrate levels in check.
Ohh Bearfan He should be fine.. I can't believe you got a fish LMAO thats funny.. I fell I got ripped lol J/K lol Congrats on the hitchhiker.. That Pistol shrimp was probably his good buddy.. I would just keep an eye on ammonia and nitrite as stated but IME my LR never created too much and this has been the case twice in a row so I feel comfortable saying this... Just in about a week or 2 change out 20% of your water after you noticed that the levels have all stayed at 0 for a while..

Congrats again on the find..

James

Thank you. I'm seeing him more and more and he seems to be very active. I've fed him some brine shrimp, but haven't observed him eating first hand. Of course, I never see him more than about 30 seconds at a time. I'm thrilled about this, btw!

Thank you www.liverocks.com

Bearfan said:
'm seeing him more and more and he seems to be very active. I've fed him some brine shrimp,
nono5.gif
Brine is about the least nutritious thing you could feed. If using it to entice picky eaters it can be good but be sure to switch to something more nutritious later on. Also soak the brine in a good vitamin to boost it's food value.

Cheers
Steve

I know this, I just happen to have it at home. I'm going to move to something better like mysid shrimp.

Now I feel bad about taking the pistol shrimp out of the tank, but not bad enough to listen to it every night.

Ahh he will be fine without the pistol shrimp.. Now if it was his G/F then I'd say naughty naughty naughty.. lol.... Your lucky when I first ordered rock from them I looked Everywhere on the net for reviews and nothing.. I almost ordered from Liveaquaria and when I called and talked to mike he was upfront and was well if you want to order from them go for it.. but your wont be as happy with it.. He also stated that he would pack it up and ship it that day for delivery prior to the holiday.. dont remember which lol.. I was like ok done deal.. He hand selected alot of the LR for my tank size and shipped it out.. I will say that I was truely impressed with everything.. He also stated that he had ppl put 1000's of dollars in corals in the tank the same week but suggested that I not do that.. So I took it slowly.. And so far no issues Except Hair Algae.. I think that was due to the few lbs of Fiji that I had in there.. After my experience I would never never order rock from anywhere else.. Fiji and that kind of stuff is no where near live compared to that liverocks.com LR.. LOL I plan to order more in a month or so for my 29gal reef that I am doing in the bedroom.. Maybe I will get an awesome hitchhiker like the one you found lol...

James

I hope so. I've got nothing but praise for www.liverocks.com and the staff (Zack and Mike). I'm going to end up ordering more one day, it's inevitable. Every time I've setup my last tank, I get another.

Gee, me too. My second tank is still cycling and I'm already thinking about a third! Can't wait to get more LR from them either... It's almost more exciting then the fish! LOL

Not purchase fish from liverocks.com... Generally speaking. I think the LR is more exciting than new fish! LOL! Gotta admit, I would buy almost anything they would sell though...

WOW!!!! What a deal.... I am soon to order a substantial amount of rock and sand from LR.com and can only hope to be so lucky... Congrats on the extra... In discussions with Mike at LR.com, if you have met or exceed the 2lbs/gal rule on the LR there should be a very minimal cycle at best.... Good luck..

That is great!!

I've always admired gobies but alas I have CC in my sw tanks... good thing for the goby that he ended up in your tank rather than mine.... :(

someday I'll go sand on one of these tanks and get me some gobbling gobies. :)

Back
Top Bottom