Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-17-2011, 11:17 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

fish kill.. HELP

Nitrite 0, Nitrate 10, Ammonia 0. PH 8. What kills fish in a sw aquarium when you have good parameters? Need help.

Old 04-17-2011, 11:28 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

We need a lot more info if this is about a specific kill. Off the top of my head: starvation, stress from too small of a tank or too many predators, mantis shrimp, bigger fish, salinity, temperature, other parameters like phosphates, carpet anemones, falling rocks, unsecured powerheads, knives....

Old 04-17-2011, 11:30 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Acclimation (improper), over crowding, stress (being bullied), rapid temperature or SG changes, cyanide capture, chemicals in the tank, lack of food, old age and MFD.

I'm sure there are more, but without a history of the tank, and fish it comes down to MFD (mysterious fish death/disappearance).
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 04:07 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I had...two clowns, 4 small chromis, 1 butterfly, 1 hawkfish, a scooter blennie, 1 watchman goby in a 50 gal. tank. We feed a small amt. of thawed shrimp in the morning and a pinch of flakes in the evening. All were healthy, eating well, swimming and they appeared content. The tank was fully cycled three months ago and 10/15% PWCs are done once a week. The only new fish was the hawkfish and he was acclimated yesterday for two hours and also, seemed fine. This morning the chromis were dead, the butterfly was dead and the hawkfish. I am testing the water constantly today and everything is 0 except 10ppm for nitrates.
Old 04-17-2011, 05:54 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

On a chance has anyone sprayed anything near the tank? Also I read where the carpet cleaners use a product to dry the carpet that can actually get in the tank and wipe it out.
Old 04-17-2011, 08:25 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

my father-in-laws tank crashed from carpit fresh powder he lost everything
Old 04-17-2011, 08:27 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

wow. I didn't know that. We might be onto something because I do clean the carpets with a dry cleaner but, I haven't done it recently like within the last two weeks. I'll really look into this. Thanks.
Old 04-17-2011, 08:30 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Do you think if I shrouded the tank, let's say hang a towel over the top this would help? I have two pups and a cat and the carpet does need cleaning once in a while.
Old 04-17-2011, 08:32 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks a lot for your input. It's something I'd never think would kill fish. I do clean the carpet with Oreck dry cleaning. The machine really stirs the stuff into the carpet and probably into the air. Thanks.
Old 04-18-2011, 05:06 AM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Yes to covering the tank when cleaning the carpets. A lot of stuff gets kicked up into the air. Let it settle before uncovering the tank.

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com