Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-20-2012, 01:02 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Fish only bottom

I'm doing a 30 gallon saltwater my first saltwater tank what should I use for a substrate

Old 08-20-2012, 01:15 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike hawk
I'm doing a 30 gallon saltwater my first saltwater tank what should I use for a substrate
Well ever thought of no substrate? Easier to keep a clean tank. But if your prefer the look of a substrate, just use sand. Some of the fish you may want might require a sand bed or even a deep sand bed 4"+. So research that aspect before you make your decision.

Old 08-20-2012, 02:42 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think live sand would be a good idea. Fish only means that there is no live rock.

Rule number two: Always cycle your tank.
bettaowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:47 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettaowner View Post
I think live sand would be a good idea. Fish only means that there is no live rock.
OP are you doing fish only or fish only with live rock? (FOWLR)
Old 08-20-2012, 12:58 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

<----has no substrate right now and LOVING IT!
Old 08-20-2012, 01:28 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki_kaiser
<----has no substrate right now and LOVING IT!
Nikki, do you have full tank shot? I'd like to see what no substrate looks like.
Old 08-20-2012, 01:34 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I can get you one for you when I get home later today! I just finished getting out the second half of it this past week. I'm re aquascaping and getting ready for corals. How much live rock do you have in there?
Old 08-20-2012, 02:59 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki_kaiser
I can get you one for you when I get home later today! I just finished getting out the second half of it this past week. I'm re aquascaping and getting ready for corals. How much live rock do you have in there?
In my 55g reef? I'm just following this thread so not sure if you thought I was the creator of this one. But in my 55g I had at one point about 100lbs + but I've taken some out since then and now might have 60-75 lbs
Old 08-20-2012, 03:10 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

My 55 with about 60lbs of live sand. Thinking about no sand but my LS plays a big part to my tank
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2889188075.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	113704  
Old 08-20-2012, 03:11 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

There are pros and cons to having substrate. I had always heard to not clean your deeper beds as it can release toxicity into your tank however I had some issues with traces of phosphates and the bed didn't look clean to me even when I would try to blow the top for any debris. I also had a crushed coral layer ( don't do that either...that was the thing to use ages ago) so I decided to get rid of it slowly and go BB for a few. I'm not saying I won't add a little sand later but it won't be a deep bed. It will be something I can siphon and clean easily. In addition, if you use sand, I would go with dry aragonite sand with live rock for good biological. I expected my tank to mini cycle when I took out the sand but it didn't even spike a little. That's due to the live rock and bacteria living on/in it. Right now, it's an easy clean up. I like the look of sand better. Im trying to get my tank as perfect as possible (as clean as possible) for a reef system.

One more thing, IMO I would put the live rock in first, then add the sand. That way if you decide to put a shallow bed in, when you siphon the sand all around it to clean, your rocks won't move and accidentally crush anyone hiding in them.

Tags
bottom, fish only

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com