Fish only bottom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mike jones

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm doing a 30 gallon saltwater my first saltwater tank what should I use for a substrate

Mike hawk said:
I'm doing a 30 gallon saltwater my first saltwater tank what should I use for a substrate

Well ever thought of no substrate? Easier to keep a clean tank. But if your prefer the look of a substrate, just use sand. Some of the fish you may want might require a sand bed or even a deep sand bed 4"+. So research that aspect before you make your decision.

I think live sand would be a good idea. Fish only means that there is no live rock.

I can get you one for you when I get home later today! I just finished getting out the second half of it this past week. I'm re aquascaping and getting ready for corals. How much live rock do you have in there?

nikki_kaiser said:
I can get you one for you when I get home later today! I just finished getting out the second half of it this past week. I'm re aquascaping and getting ready for corals. How much live rock do you have in there?

In my 55g reef? I'm just following this thread so not sure if you thought I was the creator of this one. But in my 55g I had at one point about 100lbs + but I've taken some out since then and now might have 60-75 lbs

My 55 with about 60lbs of live sand. Thinking about no sand but my LS plays a big part to my tank

Attachments

• image-2889188075.jpg
    image-2889188075.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 72
There are pros and cons to having substrate. I had always heard to not clean your deeper beds as it can release toxicity into your tank however I had some issues with traces of phosphates and the bed didn't look clean to me even when I would try to blow the top for any debris. I also had a crushed coral layer ( don't do that either...that was the thing to use ages ago) so I decided to get rid of it slowly and go BB for a few. I'm not saying I won't add a little sand later but it won't be a deep bed. It will be something I can siphon and clean easily. In addition, if you use sand, I would go with dry aragonite sand with live rock for good biological. I expected my tank to mini cycle when I took out the sand but it didn't even spike a little. That's due to the live rock and bacteria living on/in it. Right now, it's an easy clean up. I like the look of sand better. Im trying to get my tank as perfect as possible (as clean as possible) for a reef system.

One more thing, IMO I would put the live rock in first, then add the sand. That way if you decide to put a shallow bed in, when you siphon the sand all around it to clean, your rocks won't move and accidentally crush anyone hiding in them.

nikki_kaiser said:
Your tank looks great!

Thanks. My overall plan was to build a wall of LR with cliffs and caves. Not to bad but packed. Yes I know I'll get yelled at for having a yellow tang but he was in a 125 when I lived in va but I moved to Florida and couldn't give away my tang. Tank was sold and he's been with me for 7 years now and happy and healthy in the 55g.

Back
Top Bottom