Fish Only Saltwater Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

begginersluck

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi Folks,

I currently have a nano saltwater aquarium with a very small amount of live rock. More for decorative purposes really. I am looking to convert my Juwel Rio 350 to saltwater. I have heard many different ways of doing this and i just wanted some opinions on my forward plans.

So here's what i plan to do.

1. Completely remove everything inside the tank and filter and clean out.
2. Set down a crushed coral base.
3. Replace media in filter for Carbon & Wool
4. Install 2 Powerheads for circulation
5. Use the existing heater
6. Fill with Saltwater and cycle

I am reluctant to put in the live rock due to the high cost although i appreciate this is a great filtration method. What i am more concerned about is whether the built in filter on my Juwel will be good enough? It seems to be fine on my smaller tank!

Look forward to your thoughts :)

About the only thing I would do different is to put a sand substrate in there. It will be easier for your CUC to clean. Crushed coral is heavier and will trap waste and debris causing higher nitrates and algea problems.

When you say sand substrate do mean live sand? If so how deeper bed would you reccomend? I have had one person tell me 1 to 2 inches and another saying as little as possible!

Live sand is wet sand. The sand will become live over time, he's just talking about fine sand like sugar size. I have about 3-4" in my tank. It's so fine everything stays on the surface and the CUC gets it.

I agree with the sand over crushed coral. I have about four inches in my tank, and it looks great, its easy to place your rocks in, and is totally easy to clean. The crushed coral often got debris in between the granules, and was nearly impossible to clean.

crister13 said:
Live sand is wet sand. The sand will become live over time, he's just talking about fine sand like sugar size. I have about 3-4" in my tank. It's so fine everything stays on the surface and the CUC gets it.

Live sand is live. Not sure why you think in not and just wet. Do you know what the "live" part is referring to?

As for sand or crushed coral it makes only slight difference. A course grain sand will stay the cleanest and be easiest to vacuum.

As for live rock. Live rock is a biological filter. If you dont have a biological filter than you need live rock. Also live rock is the most efficient biological filter in saltwater aquariums.

That stuff stay live longer than you think, however, of course the longer it sits the more die off. Buy your live sand direct from cali or florida. Shipping is more expensive however you will get fresh quality live sand.

I don't think it's worth it at all I've been doing saltwater for ten years now never used it waste of time and money I think just my opinion

That's what I was referring to. It's not all live, it has a lot of due off. Once the foods gone, the bacterias gone. the live rock will seed your sand.

Back
Top Bottom