Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-01-2003, 07:10 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to crvz
fish only tank

i have just upgraded my 30 gallon long reef tank into a 55 gallon, and now i have the 30 gallon sitting in the apartment with nothing to do. i was thinking about going to a fish only tank and was wondering what are the best type of fish for such a "limited" tank size. i was leaning towards a lion fish, but they seem to require more size. anyone want to spill out their personal preferences or suggestions? thanks

Old 05-01-2003, 07:17 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to michealprater
Look into dwarf fuzzy lions. You can put them in a 30 gallon. They look similar to their larger cousin the Volitan. I have one in a 20. Very entertaining.

Old 05-01-2003, 07:21 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

This topic was moved to it's current forum...

A dwarf would be OK, provided you have the filtration for predators. Are you looking for predators specifically? They tend to get larger than some of your othe SW fish...Maybe a dwarf angel or a blenny or clowns....

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 10:43 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to crvz
i like the idea of predators, but thats kinda why im asking... i dont know enough and dont like making mistakes. i wanted to do something that i couldnt do in the reef tank. something thats unique and/or original. and what exactly is needed for "predator filtration"? i've got a nice canister filter and protein skimmer. anything else?
Old 05-01-2003, 11:21 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

hmmm, so we're looking for predators you can house in a 30g tank.....

I'll keep thinking, but all that really comes to mind is the golden moray eel. There is a post on here somewhere about it, complete with pics. I'll try to dig it up and post a link. a dwarf lion might work, some (even though dwarfs) still get very large some upto 13". you could do a hawkfish (smaller variety eg; longnose, flame or falco), there are the small puffers, and probably a few others, I'll keep thinking on it.

Quote:
what exactly is needed for "predator filtration"? i've got a nice canister filter and protein skimmer. anything else?
depending o the canister (I've never been crazy about them so haven't kept up with what does what), that is probably fine, you just have to keep up with the mess of predators.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 02:51 PM   #6

For thirties?....Dwarf Lion.....White spotted puffer (the one that only grows up to around 3 inches max) would be good addition. There are some triggers that you can get away with. I don't know yet but maybe....just maybe...Niger triggers?
Old 08-17-2005, 03:33 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
wow, how far back did you have to go to find this thread archie? It is over 2 years old so I wouldnt wait for responses.
Old 08-17-2005, 03:41 PM   #8

Well thanks for the consolation response, admin.

Sometimes when I am in the middle of my AA addiction, I look to the topics above page 40.

I need help.
Old 08-17-2005, 03:49 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
ohmigosh...you have it bad. Put the mouse down, step away from your computer.
As hard as it may be, turn around, thats right, your back is now to the monitor and you cant see the screen. Don't panic, I guarantee you it is still there. Take a few deep breaths, leave the room and go for a walk, get a coffee or a soda and I promise we will all be here when you get back.
Old 08-17-2005, 05:40 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Konrade
I looked at the last pages when I first came here 8O

Tags
fish only, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com