Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-27-2005, 11:58 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Fish only to Live Rock/Sand

Hello,

I have a 29 Gallon fish only tank with a small rock substrate. I was wondering if it was a good/bad idea to replace the substrate with live sand. After this I wanted to put in live rock. Would the tank have to cycle again if i did this? I have 2 clown fish, a yellow tailed damsel, and a cleaner shrimp. I no longer want the boring fake aquarium decorations.

Thanks,
Todd

Old 05-27-2005, 12:04 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Welcome to AA. You have found a great site for information and great people with good advice. I would think you would have a hike in the ammonia if the tank doen not have lr in it already. I would see if you can get some one to hold you tank critters for a while to see if you do have a spike. I replaced my cc and silica sand for arag. sand a couple weeks ago and have not had any spikes, but I have about 30 lbs of lr in the tank as well. Best to let the critters bunk at another tank for a couple weeks to see.

Oscar Wilde
MYTY1705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 12:06 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks, that is kind of what i figured. I just wanted to make sure before i went and did anything stupid to kill all my livestock.
Old 05-27-2005, 02:12 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Would it work to put the live rock in a bucket of saltwater by itself until it's all cured, instead of interrupting the aquarium? It would cycle the water in the bucket, then afterwards put it in the aquarium?
Old 05-27-2005, 03:08 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Quote:
Would it work to put the live rock in a bucket of saltwater by itself until it's all cured, instead of interrupting the aquarium?
You can do this, but you will need a heater and something for water movement like a PH to keep the rock alive and allow it to cure.
Tupperware containers from HD or Wallmart do nicely.
Old 05-27-2005, 03:35 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

OK, I have an extra heater and powerhead, so I think that's the way I'll go when I order more LR (soon!).

Tags
fish only, live, live rock, rock, sand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com