Originally Posted by Ghettopunch187
I have heard of people dipping there newly aquired marine fish or liverock in a freshwater bath to remove parasites. I have a saltwater aquarium book that recommends this for some treatments on fish also.
This method of parasite control is rather hit and miss, not really recommended either. Dips are rarely affective on the first attempt and usually needs to be done several times to gain real results. This would require the use of a QT to house the new arrivals during the process. If the QT was properly used, dips of this nature would not be necessary.
It should also be noted that if ph
and salinity are not closely matched in the fresh water bath to be used, the resulting stress to the fish can be much more damaging than the parasite being treated.