I would probably demote this guy from his "most knowledgable fish person I know" ranking
. But seriously, I see a big red flag in his information.
He states not to do a FOWLR
because "the only successful way to control parasites and disease in a saltwater tank is by a UV
sterilizer (which i have) and copper treatment", yet he recommends a reef?! A reef tank probably on average uses more LR
than a FOWLR
, but copper is known to kill all reef invertebrates too, including snails, hermits, corals, etc.! Also, UV
sterilizers only kill parasites that are in the water column, thus any parasites on the actual rock would be pretty much unaffected.
Personally, I have always used LR
from a variety of sources and have yet to have a parasite problem. I do, however, quarantine every new livestock arrival for the tank in a separate one (you could do LR
the same way) for 4 weeks before adding them to the tank. This eliminates most chances for parasitic problems.