Fish shop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kkimjames

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, all...
I'm about to start a SW FOWLR aquarium soon and I was wondering where to shop equipments and fishes.
For equipments, I can shop around and find right stuff online or offline, but do you guys buy fishes from Petco or Petsmart?
Or avoid them and use local fish stores?
I live in Allendale NJ and any recommendation for good stores?
Thanks in advance.:fish2:

I've bought from Petco before. Two Clownfish from my tank are from there, same with my Tang. They were cheaper and the fish looked healthy. If your going to buy a fish always make sure it looks healthy and your good. There is something you should use, I don't because of lack of space and money, a quarantine tank. Those just starting won't need it but I regretted not having one later.

Go local if u can. I avoid petco like the plague. But its really store dependent.

Secondly spending local is the way to go.

Hello kkimjames! I'm also from NJ ( middlesex county). I just set up a 90 gal FOWLR tank in October. Needless to say I've been to a "few" fish stores lately. My favorite spot is ocean gallery 2, it's on RT 22 in North Plainfield. I got set up there with everything, sump, skimmer, pumps, tank, stand, EVERYTHING. They have GREAT cultured live rock ( pricey but great rock) healthy fish and corals, good staff.

Tropiquaruim in ocean township is good, the pet shanty ( forget town, also on 22). Another decent spot is "absolute fish" in Clifton. Traffic is killer up there though!!

Let us know how you make out after you set one up

You can also purchase fish online. I've bought from saltwater fish .com and also blue zoo aquatics there stuff is pretty good and if one dies they give you a credit if its within 14 days and you get them the next day.Hope this helps you

Yeah, I avoid petco. My clowns are from there, but I got some lr from there that caused an ich outbreak in my tank. Not only that, my first biowheel died...I go and get another one and it burns out like the first within a half hour! I just wanted it for on my QT tank thankfully.

I disagree, cheap is always good, you just have to know how to make it work. Especially in computers the most expensive item is probably the lowest quality item.

If Clifton nj isn't to far for you go to absolutely fish. They have the best selection of fish.

Back
Top Bottom