Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 03-15-2014, 11:22 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Nat_a126's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 356
Fish Stocking

Hi, I have a 65 gallon FOWLR aquarium. I have currently have...
-3 blue/green Chromis
-2 ocellaris clownfish
-2 Nassarius snails
-26 Astraea snails


I want...
-1 one spot Foxface
-1 coral beauty
-one other fish maybe an easy Butterfly
-1 pincushion urchin



Do you think this is fine or overstocked?
Any fish suggestions that you all really like?
__________________

__________________
Nat_a126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 11:34 PM   #2
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin
 
Sniperhank's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Summerville, Pennsylvania
Posts: 18,549
I'm no expert on butterflies, but they usually require 100+ tanks and am not familiar with any that can live well in anything so small.
The foxface would be ok in a 65 as long as it is the one spot. The others get too big and need a 100+ as well.
The coral beauty is a great addition to a 4ft tank. I have one in my 55 reef. I secretly wish I hadn't got it now that I've discovered other fish that I like, but it is still a nice fish.
If you are looking for a 'larger' fish to have, the suggestion I'm going to make is a more 'shy' fish in bright tanks and needs lots of places to hide, but I love mine. The marine betta. I have a very small one in my 55 and love it. I've only ever seen one other one and rather than being the size of my thumb, it was as big as my hand. Truly awesome looking fish. It'd be a nice fit to a tank w/o shrimp and crabs.
__________________

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 11:37 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Nat_a126's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 356
Fish Stocking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
I'm no expert on butterflies, but they usually require 100+ tanks and am not familiar with any that can live well in anything so small.
The foxface would be ok in a 65 as long as it is the one spot. The others get too big and need a 100+ as well.
The coral beauty is a great addition to a 4ft tank. I have one in my 55 reef. I secretly wish I hadn't got it now that I've discovered other fish that I like, but it is still a nice fish.
If you are looking for a 'larger' fish to have, the suggestion I'm going to make is a more 'shy' fish in bright tanks and needs lots of places to hide, but I love mine. The marine betta. I have a very small one in my 55 and love it. I've only ever seen one other one and rather than being the size of my thumb, it was as big as my hand. Truly awesome looking fish. It'd be a nice fit to a tank w/o shrimp and crabs.

I was actually thinking about the Marine Betta, but I had read that it eats small fish. Considering that my other fish are about an inch and a half, I assumed they would be eaten. Is this true? And I was thinking about the Pearl Scale bufferfly.
__________________
Nat_a126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 11:43 PM   #4
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin
 
Sniperhank's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Summerville, Pennsylvania
Posts: 18,549
Small fish, of course it'll eat them. I'm not saying to get and toss a full grown 8' in there... a smaller guy would be a great fit and they all can grow together.
In terms of a Pearly Scale...I don't have a clue as I am more knowledgeable with reef fish.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 11:45 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Nat_a126's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
Small fish, of course it'll eat them. I'm not saying to get and toss a full grown 8' in there... a smaller guy would be a great fit and they all can grow together.
In terms of a Pearly Scale...I don't have a clue as I am more knowledgeable with reef fish.

So in your opinion, what's the smallest fish, in inches, that you could keep? 1 and 1/2 is too small? How long did your marine betta take to not be shy anymore?
__________________
Nat_a126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 11:51 PM   #6
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin
 
Sniperhank's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Summerville, Pennsylvania
Posts: 18,549
I have really bright lights over my reef. So, he comes out to feed and you see him floating around under the overhangs. It depends on the day with him. I'm told that they come out and swim in tanks with not so bright light...but I can only talk about my experience.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 11:55 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Nat_a126's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
I have really bright lights over my reef. So, he comes out to feed and you see him floating around under the overhangs. It depends on the day with him. I'm told that they come out and swim in tanks with not so bright light...but I can only talk about my experience.

So 1 and 1/2 inch is too small? And my lights are not that bright since I don't have corals. Are they difficult to care for?
__________________
Nat_a126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 02:07 AM   #8
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin
 
Sniperhank's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Summerville, Pennsylvania
Posts: 18,549
Not hard at all. I feed mine twice a week. And your size question would depend on the size of the fish.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 11:10 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Nat_a126's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
Not hard at all. I feed mine twice a week. And your size question would depend on the size of the fish.

So a full grown betta (6-8 inches) with a full grown clownfish (2-3 inches)? Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394979012.162272.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	213.9 KB
ID:	228326

And is this too bright for them?
__________________
Nat_a126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 11:23 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
bribo12's Avatar

Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Maryland
Posts: 9,117
You need more hiding places for a betta. Also, I've never seen a 6" betta let alone an 8". 5" is usually the max for them from what I've seen
__________________

__________________
20 Gallon SPS reef
29 Gallon FW "fat catfish" tank
20 Gallon Long Dart Frogs "Zig" and "Zag"
bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
fish, fish stock, stock, stocking

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
another 55 gallon stocking thread, with partial stocking list! Dr.Who Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started 13 08-14-2012 12:17 PM
20 gallon stocking? ok stocking? kim_luvs_fish. Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 0 09-09-2011 09:38 PM
Stocking list for my upgrade, looking for advice for on stocking... Patroklos Saltwater Reef Aquaria 3 12-03-2009 02:14 PM
One fish, two fish, little fish, littler fish. PlatyLady Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 3 12-07-2003 11:19 PM
how long should I wait between fish when stocking my tank surfer1712 Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started 1 08-20-2003 03:07 PM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.