Fish Wish List

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blackhorse

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I still have maybe a week or two for my tank to cycle and have to get the QT tank up first but here is what I'm considering for fish. I'm planning on starting very slow. Maybe only 3 fish in the first six months or so. It's kind of a modification of what is recommended for a 55 in the Michael Paletta book.

2 x Oscellaris Clowns
5 x Blue Green Chromis
1 x Flame Angel
1 x Mandarin Dragonet
1 x Regal (Blue) Tang
1 x Diamond Goby (or Lawnmower Blennie)- probably not both

Does this seem like a good list? They all seem to be compatible- according to the chart. Does it matter which I get first...last?

I have a 55g and I only intend on keeping 5 fish. You may want to consider keeping less especially for such a new tank, that hasn't been established as yet.

This forums members tend to be rather conservative in regards to the inches-of-fish-to-gallons rule, but it really comes down to what your tank can handle, everyones is different depending on what equipment your tank has and the quality of said equipment.

I'd say add a fish, wait and see... if all is well, add another fish. rinse repeat. If you or your system begins to struggle to handle the load, you'll want to consider stopping or maybe taking a fish or 2 back.

The mandarin dragonette has a dismal survival rate unless it is in a well-established tank that has alot of live rock and a nice copepod population.

I would pass on the Hippo (regal) tang, they require more swimming room. Like the others said a Mandarin require a very mature tank with lots of pods and LR.

Agnate80700 have you ever tried to get a fish out of a tank with LR in it? Not very easy and damn near impossible without taking it out. So plopping fish in your tank and waiting for it to struggle IMO is not good advice... In the end its your tank so you will do what you want, were just here to pass on good advice that has worked for us and folks we know.

Hara said:
The mandarin dragonette has a dismal survival rate unless it is in a well-established tank that has alot of live rock and a nice copepod population.

I agree. You`ll need to hold off on that one. The blue tang might cause problems also as they are more prone to ich.

Back
Top Bottom