fish "wishlist"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Psychocircus91

Aquarium Advice FINatic
This is my first post so please bear with me.

I am interested in starting a saltwater fish only tank. My tank size is going to be around 50/55 gallons. (long)

I have gathered a list of fish that I really like and want help choosing which ones would be best.

I by no means plan to put all of these fish in, just want input on which would work well. I hope to have at least three fish, four if possible.

I definitely want a clown fish. Is there a specific kind I should get? Here are the options to go with my clown fish.

• blue tang (I think they need larger tanks)
  • yellow tang (I think they need larger tanks)
  • Bicolor dottyback
  • Purple dottyback
  • Kaudern's Cardinal
  • Yellow Angelfish
  • Flame Angelfish
  • Auriga Butterflyfish
  • Copperband butterflyfish
  • Raccoon butterflyfish
  • Heniochus Black and white butterflyfish
  • Catalina Goby
Any tips are greatly appreciated.:fish2:

I would go with a maroon clown because they get bigger than the regular percula/false percula clowns and everyone has those already. If this is going to have corals, I'd skip the angelfish since they are known to nip at corals.

This is my first post so please bear with me.

I am interested in starting a saltwater fish only tank. My tank size is going to be around 50/55 gallons. (long)

I have gathered a list of fish that I really like and want help choosing which ones would be best.

I by no means plan to put all of these fish in, just want input on which would work well. I hope to have at least three fish, four if possible.

I definitely want a clown fish. Is there a specific kind I should get? Here are the options to go with my clown fish.

• blue tang (I think they need larger tanks)
  • yellow tang (I think they need larger tanks)
  • Bicolor dottyback
  • Purple dottyback
  • Kaudern's Cardinal
  • Yellow Angelfish
  • Flame Angelfish
  • Auriga Butterflyfish
  • Copperband butterflyfish
  • Raccoon butterflyfish
  • Heniochus Black and white butterflyfish
  • Catalina Goby
Any tips are greatly appreciated.:fish2:
You were right tangs will get to big for a 55:( It's a bummer. Also If you are going to get an angel fish I would only pick one to avoid aggression. If you really want two, it may work if you add both at the same time. I have a Lemonpeel angel right now, and he rarely nips at my corals. I hear it is a 50/50 that you will get a specimen that readily nips at coral. Also dottybacks can b e quite aggressive, so you may want to add it last.:)

I would go with a maroon clown because they get bigger than the regular percula/false percula clowns and everyone has those already. If this is going to have corals, I'd skip the angelfish since they are known to nip at corals.

Thanks, I found the maroon to be pretty cool, but I have also heard they are more aggressive. I don't think I will be doing any corals.

Thanks, I found the maroon to be pretty cool, but I have also heard they are more aggressive. I don't think I will be doing any corals.

Yep, maroons tend to be more aggressive than other clowns. If you want one, it may help if it is one of your last fish:)

You were right tangs will get to big for a 55:( It's a bummer. Also If you are going to get an angel fish I would only pick one to avoid aggression. If you really want two, it may work if you add both at the same time. I have a Lemonpeel angel right now, and he rarely nips at my corals. I hear it is a 50/50 that you will get a specimen that readily nips at coral. Also dottybacks can b e quite aggressive, so you may want to add it last.:)

Okay, so I will probably get only one, if any, angels. Very helpful, thanks

Yep, maroons tend to be more aggressive than other clowns. If you want one, it may help if it is one of your last fish:)

Okay so marroon clown, and dottybacks have mild aggression and angelfish tend to be aggressive with each other? Are any of the other fish I listed aggressive? (other than tangs since i have eliminated them)

Welcome to the forum!

there are some issues with someof the fish you choose. For instance, the catalina goby is a coldwater fish, needs a lower temperature than most, I know this cause I wanted one as well! LOL

The butterflys are notoriosuly difficult on the most part, especially the copperband it is I believe.

I persoanlly LOVE my clowns, if I had the chance to get more I'f be going with designer ones, like picasso, snowflakes or maybe even black ice ones. The maroons are known to be the biggest of the clowns and from what I hear the most aggressive.

And youre right about the tangs, they need at least a six foot tank. I had to do a whole upgrade to a 125g just so I could have some. hehe But who knows what the future may bring for you, ya might end up with a 220g one day. I find this whole fish business to be very addicting. :-D

My maroon is only ever aggressive towards other clowns. It never picks on other fish, even a little baby chromis LOL.

Welcome to the forum!

there are some issues with someof the fish you choose. For instance, the catalina goby is a coldwater fish, needs a lower temperature than most, I know this cause I wanted one as well! LOL

The butterflys are notoriosuly difficult on the most part, especially the copperband it is I believe.

I persoanlly LOVE my clowns, if I had the chance to get more I'f be going with designer ones, like picasso, snowflakes or maybe even black ice ones. The maroons are known to be the biggest of the clowns and from what I hear the most aggressive.

And youre right about the tangs, they need at least a six foot tank. I had to do a whole upgrade to a 125g just so I could have some. hehe But who knows what the future may bring for you, ya might end up with a 220g one day. I find this whole fish business to be very addicting. :-D

More great information. I'm not starting the tank for a couple months; I know I have lots of reading and research to do. I'm just trying to get a foundation so I know which fish to look into most. Thanks!

Okay so marroon clown, and dottybacks have mild aggression and angelfish tend to be aggressive with each other? Are any of the other fish I listed aggressive? (other than tangs since i have eliminated them)

Other than multipule butterflys together, no:)

My maroon is only ever aggressive towards other clowns. It never picks on other fish, even a little baby chromis LOL.

haha one of my main concerns is if it would have a big nipping problem if i got a long finned fish like the cardinal?

haha one of my main concerns is if it would have a big nipping problem if i got a long finned fish like the cardinal?

If the cardinal get near the maroons territory, the maroon my chase him off, that doesn't mean he would nip his fins, but it is a possibility.

So does this sound feasible? Adding the fish in this order:

55 gallon tank fish only, no coral

Yellow angelfish
Kaudern's Cardinal
Maroon Clown
Bicolor dottyback

I would say so!:)

Awesome. Thanks everyone. I'm sure I'll be posting in the near future with all kinds of questions about filters, cycles, bacteria and things of those sorts. I'll be sure to do lots of research first.

Thanks again

sorry, one more quick question. Is it safe to start with two fish, or always best to just do one at a time?

Back
Top Bottom