Flame angel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ff.rice

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok folks..... My family and I really want a flame angel..... Mainly just because of the color and the amount it moves.... I see them in smaller tanks at the pet store..... But everything I read says that my 55 gallon tank will not be big enough..... What do you guys think?!?!

I keep a flame angel in my 55 perfectly fine! But what is the rest of your stocking list? That will help answer your question!

I think that your 55 gallon will be plenty enough water volume to keep such a fish. For example, I owned a clownfish and I put him in my 6 gallon nano cube, despite what everyone told me. I stuck to my weekly water changes and guess what: no problems at all. In this hobby, they only recommend you to keep some fish in larger communities because it will make maintenance easier on you. If you are devoted to the hobby and have a well cycled tank, I say go for it and enjoy a colorful fish. If it bothers you to keep up with your tank, then you may want to go with something easier, but the flame angel should not give you even the slightest trouble.

I think that your 55 gallon will be plenty enough water volume to keep such a fish. For example, I owned a clownfish and I put him in my 6 gallon nano cube, despite what everyone told me. I stuck to my weekly water changes and guess what: no problems at all. In this hobby, they only recommend you to keep some fish in larger communities because it will make maintenance easier on you. If you are devoted to the hobby and have a well cycled tank, I say go for it and enjoy a colorful fish. If it bothers you to keep up with your tank, then you may want to go with something easier, but the flame angel should not give you even the slightest trouble.

Don't compare putting a clown in a 6 to a flame angel in a 55. Completely different. Is your clownfish 15 years old? Success in this hobby is not measured in a couple months to a year. I couldn't even imagine my clowns in a 6 gallon, that's cruel. And no fish aren't recommended for bigger tanks because it makes maintenance easier, it's because they require more swimming room.
Sorry op, that rant was off topic. Your tank is 48" so it optimizes swimming room for this fish. It Is perfect size for a flame

A 55 is fine for a dwarf angel, but you need to think about other important things before adding a flame.

1. What is your current stocking list? Are you already fully stocked?

2. Will the fish you already have be compatible with a flame? For example, do you have any other dwarf angels ?

3. Is this the last fish you plan on adding? It should be, because it is very aggressive and territorial and should be the last fish added so that all other tank mates have a chance to already establish their territory

All of my stock I have now were in a 29 gallon tank with a Pygmy Dwarf Angel that died..... They were all given to me before my tank was established...... But now I have moved everything to 55...... So I'm thinking that they should be ok with the addition..... The only thing I may add after is cleaning crew.

And my tank is now established! Sorry, left that out..... The 29 ran for about a year and was doing great..... I just wanted bigger (as I still do) so water perimeters seem to be stabilized and doing great!

Back
Top Bottom