Flame hawk chasing spotted gobys?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Billy Cliff

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've had a serious problem keeping orange spotted gobys from jumping out of my tank at night, even found the smallest opening when I covered my tank. The only semi aggressive fish I currently have is a flame hawk...I think. Just in case I'm wrong I also have copper banded butterfly, powder brown tang, two banded cardinals, two common clowns, flame angel, a mandarin goby, and a six line wrasse. There is plenty of live rock and caves for everyone to hide. If anyone has any idea if it could be something else please let me know. The only theory I currently have is the flame hawk chasing him around during the night. Thanks for any Thoughts !

What size tank do you have and how long has it been up?, always the first questions. lol

What do you have as far as a cover, an actual plastic cover or netting? I've been having an awful time this month as far as jumping fish. I will be going down to 1/4 inch netting and hopefully that can help with jumpers. :)

Is it possible the sixline is chasing the goby? I know my sixline is a tad aggressive so maybe yours is as well. I also have a flame hawk but all he chases are the hermit grabs. lol

I have a 72 bow and it's been set up over a month maybe closer to two. I upgraded from 30g hex tank. I used much of the material from that along with other live rock. All my levels are great and there hasn't been any spikes or major changes in a few weeks. I plan on making it into a reef tank but obviously I'm going to wait a while longer to be sure. The six line def could be the culprit but generally while the lights are on he seems fairly docile , of course that could change when the lights turn off.

I forgot to answer the other part of your question! I have never had a problem before with jumpers so I never had a top on my aquariums. I'm going to custom fit a piece of acrylic to put on it over night. Netting is prob a better idea thou.

You know that tang needs a bigger tank right? With those fish in a smaller tank you can have aggression issues. Most tangs should be in a 6 foot tank, they really get big and need lots of swimming room.

Now that I've said that, lol, you can make your own covers with stuff you can buy at BRS and your local home depot. here is the netting link

Clear 1/4" Screen Netting 6.5' x 2.5' - English

Back
Top Bottom