flea fogging today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scottayy

Aquarium Advice Addict
We have a heavy flea infestation so today we are going to use flea foggers. I am wondering what is the safest way to protect my aquarium.

I was thinking of turning everything off and using plastic wrap over the top and over the sump. Then covering up the whole thing with a blanket. And then putting some activated carbon in the sump just in case.

But I am worried about not enough oxygen exchange with the aquarium all sealed up.

Does anyone have any thoughts or experience with this?

I think your best bet would be to move your aquarium outside . That's alot of chemicals to chance smoldering your aquarium with

I don't recommend the fogging at all with your tank in there.... We are having a hard time of it this year here in Indiana too..... Been using the walmart brand Pet Armor and have an aerosol can for the carpets and especially where the dog sleeps and bath once per week.

You couldn't make me let one of those bombs off....not with my tank in here...

Leave 1 PH goin aimed it the water surface wrap every thing in plastic 2x then cover with a clean sheet then a heavy blanket run as much carbon as you can, do a 50% PWC you can not be too care-full here. Best to remove the tank but sometimes it just cant be done

@Time2reef, we have to. We have tried everything. We also have 4 cats and a dog (yeah, I know). We have them with flea collars and flea meds from the vet. Them and us are getting eaten alive still! We have tried carpet powder, insect repellents, and even "home remedies" found on the internet like vinegar/dishsoap, and sprinkling salt all over the floor.

I could take the tank outside but boy that is a lot of work! Plus it's really hot out.

Hmm, I will see what I can come up with.

Those are great ideas grizz.

scottayy said:
@Time2reef, we have to. We have tried everything. We also have 4 cats and a dog (yeah, I know). We have them with flea collars and flea meds from the vet. Them and us are getting eaten alive still! We have tried carpet powder, insect repellents, and even "home remedies" found on the internet like vinegar/dishsoap, and sprinkling salt all over the floor.

I could take the tank outside but boy that is a lot of work! Plus it's really hot out.

Hmm, I will see what I can come up with.

Those are great ideas grizz.

Bad year for as well. In fact in the past 5 years we never had one problem... our vet said due to our unusual cool summer

Yeah, fleas are so bad this year. I can't think of any purpose they serve. Wish they would all just disappear. :(

Anyways, I've decided to wait until tuesday to flea fog. This will give me another chance to try to get rid of them without fogging and give me time to develop a solid plan of action regarding the aquarium, instead of rushing it.

I've dealt with heavy flea infestations before- absolutely NO fun. That being said- I personally wouldn't go the fogged/fumigator route again. First reason- too many nasty chemicals near my fish tank...

Bu. Even moreso- foggers and fumigating once won't permanently end the fleas- it takes repeated applications no matter what a company or manufacturer might say.

The most effective flea control/elimination program I have ever seen or used is actually one of the least expensive (but takes some work):

Buy a couple of containers of sevin dust. Clean up your home/vacuum all carpets, throw away vacuum bags.

DAY 1: Sprinkle sevin dust on all carpets, furniture, and on hard floors like one might use carpet fresh. Allow to sit at least an hour (two hours is better). Vacuum completely. dispose of bag or empty dust cup in trash.

DAY 2: nothing

DAY 3: nothing

DAY 4: repeat day 1 instructions

DAY 5 & 6: do nothing

DAY 7: repeat day 1 schedule.

Now- wait one week and do day 1 schedule

Wait one week- do day 1 schedule

After this- fleas should all be gone and a reinfestation (assuming keeping pets clean) is not likely. You will also have less house spiders and other nasties.

I use borax powder. 3-ish dollars a box. You'll find it in the laundry aisle. Sprinkle it in carpets and work it down. I treat the carpet one time and leave it for a couple of days. I don't like pesticides in the house (3 kids). We have had a couple of small outbreaks over the last 10 or so years and the borax does the job every time. We bathe the dogs regularly and then I use Bayer advantix on the animals themselves for a couple months out of the year.

I have heard some positives with using Borax, but others to say it only slows them down.

Sevin Dust should be easy to find in the gardening/lawn section of mist big box stores (Lowes, WalMart, Target, etc.) should be $4-5 per can (unless you find a bigger canister).

Borax, if you want to try that will be in the laundry section.

I'm no fan of nasty chemicals in my home- but seeing my daughters covered w/bites after spending $hundreds- I was ready to try anything. Then we were told the above instructions at a nearby TrueValue hardware store--- and the flea problem was gone. No Ill effects on our dogs or young children.

Sevin dust is available in a big bag at Walmart for about 8-10 dollars. I forgot all about that. Sevin dust is also safe to sprinkle on your pets too. I am going to go for this one. I am in Indiana too so I am facing the same temp and environment issues as you......

I think the fleas are just going crazy , in my town we had an infestation . Didn't affect me or my home because I don't own furry friends but I know several ppl who had to shave their animals and have them treated by the vet overnight . I live any South Louisiana where we have been having lots and lots of rain . I wonder if the two are connected ?

I had to move my tanks twice, but after reading about all the flea problems, I'm so glad I took out the carpet and replaced it with laminate!
I have 5 dogs, but use Advantage, crazy expensive, but it is only on during the summer, and not having fleas in the house, priceless!

Back
Top Bottom