Fluval 405

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
use a small sump and not the canister. If you want to use it, just use the pads and live rock rubble. I used a canister for a while and changed to an HOB filter. Actually cheaper and easier to maintain. JMO

I am using a Canister, and it has been great. No issues!! I don't know why people have issues with them. I do clean mine out every other week, as to not allow BIG stuff to linger in the filter.

I use the Fluval 206. I use

Amazon.com: Hagen Fluval 106/206 Bio-Foam: Pet Supplies

Amazon.com: Fluval Carbon, 100-gram Nylon Bags - 3-Pack: Pet Supplies

Amazon.com: Fluval Biomax Bio Rings - 500 grams/17.63 ounces: Pet Supplies

Plus

Poly Filter

I put the poly filter in on top of the sponge filter, bio-rings, and active carbon. It's an extra filter in each chamber. I also have that BIG sponge filter it comes with on the other side of the filter. I have not replaced the sponges the filter came with, nor have I replaced the bio-rings it came with. I did add more bio-rings to the container as it seemed like the amount it came with was low. The carbon filter and poly filter is the only thing I change out.

When I go to clean it out, I first take out about 5 to 10 gallons of old fish tank water, and I disconnect the filter. I open the filter and place all the filter media into one of the 5 gallon buckets holding the old tank water. I take the canister part to the sink and clean it out with warm water (No soup). The filter media I shake off and with my hand brush off all the gunk and build up on the sponges and each little compartment.

I reassemble the filter and hook it up. Before I even prime it or turn in back on (Most important) I put a fish net over the return inside the tank. When I start to prime all the gunk comes out of the tubs and into the net (Not the fish tank). I turn it back on and all is good. I replace the Carbon about once every 2 months, and the poly filter once every 4 months. It has kept my tank nice and clean! I have had no Nitrate's building up, and my water is crystal clear!!

I never though about using rock rubble, kind of make it like a little sump tank.

I guess that's an idea.

A sump is better, and I do plan on it down the road. I just like the filter right now. I might even keep it on with the sump tank. No amount of extra filtration is going to hurt your tank. :p

I have the Fluval 406 and I use the big thick black sponges, a few of the chemipure elite, purigen, and phosban in it. I took out the biomax and the water polishing pads. My water is fine. I do clean out the canister weekly, though.

I have the Fluval 406 and I use the big thick black sponges, a few of the chemipure elite, purigen, and phosban in it. I took out the biomax and the water polishing pads. My water is fine. I do clean out the canister weekly, though.

Oh!! And I still use the 4 long sponges too. Forgot to say that. :)

Back
Top Bottom