fluval 406 filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bald57

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just purchased this filter today and I read on one of the threads that a member had one and didn't like how the water was flowing into his tank. He made a flow tube that ran the length of his tank which had 18 to 20 holes for water to flow out of. My question is, if one uses pvc pipe, can you use the pvc glue that you buy without causing water issues. I am afraid if I build a flow tube that the glue to peace the parts together may put some toxin into the water. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated before I dive head into making one.

I have the 406, may I ask if he/she explained what they didn't like about the flow?

I have a 406 and have been considering a spray bar for some time. I'd be curious to see the thread about it.

I read somewhere that the submerged parts don't need sealant. Not sure how true that is.. I picture the cap at the end blowing off.

I use mine to create flow on one side, and the power-head does the rest. So I don't see it being a problem.

I agree with baron. I also keep the return only a little below the water line. It's a pretty strong flow, strong enough to keep the water circulating. I never see still water and the power head does the rest. What size is your tank?

tank is a40 gallon bow front. Get it yesterday and after two trips back to where I bought it cause someone had taken all the media out of it finally got it up and running. It is a very nice filter and so quiet. I think I am going to like it very much.

Yea I did some research before I bought it and saw that many people are happy with it as am I.

My tank is a 29 gallon, I am going to update to a 55 gallon at the end of the month. I got 60 pounds of live rock and a BH-1000 reef octopus skimmer. So I am not going to update filters even though it says it only goes to 45 gallons. I figure with the rock and skimmer my filtration needs will still be above what others have.

I am also going to take my filter off eventually and go with a 29 gallon sump tank. The old tank that I have will be turned into a sump. I just need to save for it. So my sump tank might be 6 months from now.

yea, the filter is a good filter. Just make sure to clean it out once a month or nitrates will become an issue. Just don't clean it with freshwater. Use your dirty tank water and don't squeeze the sponge out.

I take out all the filter media and put it into the bucket of water I took from my tank during a water change. I only wash the canister with warm water and than paper towel it dry. The filter media, I just make sure all the big stuff is off. I want to keep the bacteria on the sponge and media.

Back
Top Bottom