FO lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

koolaidman3

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey im new here. I am in the process of cycling a sw tank and doing alot of reasearch. I do have some ordinary overhead compacts but is there a dissadvantage in not properly lighting an FO tank?

The only benefit to upgrading the lighting for a FO tank is that the colors stand out in the fish more. There is no health need for the fish to have higher power lighting.

I agree. Just plain flourecent lighting will be OK for a FO tank. As Pinkie said better lighting will accent your fishes colors.

About the only other thing I can think of is hitch hiker corals might be effected....But I do agree with pinkie and Mike.

If you do FOWLR then you won't get as much coraline growth, but no harm to the fish. But check out Ebay, you can find some REALLY cheap power compact fixtures that give you a much prettier light for the fish. I paid $49 bucks apiece for two 36" PC fixtures to light my FOWLR and it looks great.

thanks that was the answer i was looking for phew. That brings me to my next question though. I understand it is the norm to light lr but would it still be beneficial enough without lighting? I understand there would be a considerable amount of dieoff due to the photosynthetic algea. Therefore without lighting would it be just as efficient to add base rock just for aquascaping and some bacteria surface and just let it grow (with a little lr perhaps) some of the bacteria as the filter does? I do not care too much about it being colorful, or hitchhikers.

THe bacteria will not be affected by lighting. The only ill -effect would be the lack of coraline, and that is only if you want coraline. The LR would function the same as if you had reef lighting either way!

thats awesome, thanks. last question though: does coraline have beneficial aspects aside from asthetic appearance and competing with other algaes?

To me it`s really an indicator on how your tank is doing esp your calcium and alk balance.

exactly, and if you are doing a simple FO or FOWLR, then calc and alk balance are not nearly as important.

Back
Top Bottom