FOLR predator tank...need ideas please! :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

salmo trutta

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
ok, so my 38 gal SW tank is near its maturity for the filter. and i have some base rocks in there and yet to add the live rock.

anyways, i am really looking into getting an angler fish for my tank, they are sooo cool and interesting tro me. they only get to about 4 inches or so (from what i have been reading on a couple of sites) and are predators! i was also looking at a capatability list and it says they do well with lionfishes. which was another fish i was thinking of putting in there also!

so, here is my list thus far.

1 frog fish
1 lionfish

now, what can i put in 5there, that wont get eaten by either of those two, is a fun critter to watch, and will add to the look of my tank? i will need some cleaning crew ideas as well.

thanks!!

Your limited on cleaning crew to some snails. There isn't room in there for more fish so maybe some brittle or serpent stars would be good. They will clean up the uneaten food.

hmmm.

well what about tossing the lionfish idea and just having the anglerfish. suggestions for other fish in there? with the angler fish?

and also, with the angler/lion setup, what kind of snails can i put in there?

The angler is going to eat any fish you put in there, same as the lion. Any fish or invert you add is potential prey.
You could add some algae eating snails as well as some nassarius to keep the sandbed turned. You could also check into some cowrie snails. They are really neat.

Fluff said:
The angler is going to eat any fish you put in there, same as the lion. Any fish or invert you add is potential prey.
You could add some algae eating snails as well as some nassarius to keep the sandbed turned. You could also check into some cowrie snails. They are really neat.

yeah, true.

guess ill just stick to the angler and lionfish combo! white collar angler and a radiata lionfish i think.

and thanks for the tips on snails!!!

I would worry about the lion stinging the frog fish in a tank that small. They are venomous. And I would also worry about the angler getting enough food.
They may only eat live fish so the lion may get all the food before the angler seeing as the lion moves around and the anglers mostly stay still and fish for there food. JMO..
My friend has a angler and it only eats live fish, chromis and damsels.. So you will be spending some $$$ on weekly feedings on these fish if you can't ween them to take frozen foods.
My friend got rid of the angler because it was costing so much to keep..

Back
Top Bottom