food for blue spotted puffer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hemmer

Aquarium Advice Activist
what food should i get for it. i just got it today and am planning on getting him food tomorrow if its needs different. i have omega one flakes and i saw him eat one but i was told to feed him mysis shrimp. will shrimp pellets be fine instead? or should i just go ahead and get him the mysis shrimp.

Is it the Blue Dot Puffer?

All puffer diets should consist of squid, krill, clams, oysters, and hard shelled shrimp, snails, ect.. to help wear down their ever growing teeth. Flake and pellets usually do not work very well in the long run. Mysis shrimp and/or frozen is fine for every once in a while feedings as well. Getting your food from the grocery store weekly would be cheaper then the flake/pellets and healthier for your puffer.

This article goes into more detail.

wetwebmedia.com is also a great source of information regarding your puffer.

You also should consider using Kent Garlic Extreme, Selcon, & Zoe to help boost their immune. (I soak all my food in this for 30+ minutes)

thanks a lot for all the advice.
It is the blue dot puffer. i see that it says you can feed them silversides and now im wishing i didnt sell those with my anemone to get that puffer but i probly wont use those to feed him anyways. and what kind of foods do you get for it from the grocery store?

anyways i have tiny white snails that are all over my tank and i think hes been eating lots of those.

If your grocery store has a fresh seafood section you can buy just about any seafood as long as it’s raw or frozen raw and not cooked. Thaw any frozen before feeding and depending on the size of your puffer feeding 2 to 3 times a week should be plenty. Main thing is to provide hard shelled items regularly like oyster, clams, crab legs and snails all still in the shell to wear down their teeth.

I would avoid any FW items with the exception of the occasional live crayfish or fiddler crab.

Basically you don’t want to have to file down the teeth at a later date.

My BLUe Spot LoveS Brine Shrimp! Live or Frozen. He'd eat it all day long if I feed him. I feed him krill sometimes but its not his favorite. He usually just eats the eyeballs off then chews up and spit out the rest of it. Other then that he has enjoyed some mysis shrimp but don't bother trying to get him to eat flakes or pellets. You'll just get frustrated! :) They are a very cool fish but keep him fat and happy or your snails and shimp (if you got them) will disappear one by one!!

Back
Top Bottom