Food for just live rock and hitchhikers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luckycat

Aquarium Advice Freak
OK so now I have 60 lbs of live rock, and live sand...cycle just finished, or at least close to finishing. I know I still have a few crabs in the tank that I was unable to remove, I think I still have a few pistol shrimp (hear occasional cracking), a few starfish, and what is I think a clam, some small snails, plus any other "life" that came with the rock that I don't know about yet or can't identify.

I'll get some cleanup crew soon, but was wondering if there is something I should be putting in the tank to "feed" the life..or is the growth on the LR itself enough for now, till I add a couple of fish? Does it depend on what is in the tank now (as I said I know there are things that I don't know about). I heard about photoplankton for the clam, if I add that should I add any other "general purpose" food for the other critters? The crabs seem content flicking algae off of the rock.

BTW the plan here is a FO tank, not a full reef.

hand feeding...

Get a feeding stick that you can use to hand feed your critters. It is quite entertaining! Frozen food works well for this purpose.

Live phytoplankton for all your filter feeders.

you really dont need to feed them. they will find stuff on the rock. if you wate too long all that food might be gone. but that would be some time. but if you do feed them make sure you dont let it sit at the bottom for long. it will rase your po4 and no3. and be truble some to get back down

Back
Top Bottom