Food from Grocery Store?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigggt

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi i have been searching and found that people here say to feed a porcupine puffer- Shrimp,Scallops,mussels and clams from the local grocery store

So i went today and i am not sure what to get

is a shrimp ring OK i checked and the only ingredients are shrimp and salt

the only kind of scallops i could find were bay scallops,are these OK and if so can i freeze them

i am just not sure what to get

thanx

Plain old crappy shrimp the cheapest they have. Bay scallops are great and yes you can freeze it and cut off what you need while it's still frozen. The shrimp rings are usually more expensive because they are cooked and peeled. You need raw with the shell still on. They need the shell to keep their teeth filed down.

Hi Electrikat

I went back to the grocey store and found these

Black Tiger Shrimp-uncooked shell on ,are these OK

the only ingredients are salt - is this OK

also about the shrimp ring i know you said they are expensive but should you not give cooked shrimp?

thanx

Locate a store that has seafood for sale in the meat counter. U know where they would have it on display on ice.

Recently at my grocery I bought a whole squid (about 6" long), 5 bay scallops, 5 small raw cocktail shrimp. I chopped all of this stuff up real finely, and added a little bit of brine, and a little bit of FINELY chopped garlic. I froze it overnight. My fish love it!!!! The best part is that it cost only about $2.50. I still vary their diet with Prime Reef Flake, Shrimp/plankton pellets, and this stuff, though.

PS- My first post! woohoo :lol:

Thats a great start to some homemade food we often refer to as 'blender mush'.

My recepe includes

shrimp
squid
scallops
clams
tuna steak
nori
saltwater

You dont need much of any type. Maybe only 1/2 or 1/3ed a pound. You will end up with more than enough food for 6 months of feedings. Put into ziplock bags so its 1/4" thick so it can be broken off easily.

Yep. Most of our fish are carnavores or at least omnivores that enjoy some meat in their meals. Adding nori gives those whom are almost exclusivly herbiores something aswell.

Although my tangs will devore the fleshy parts of my blender mush when I feed it.

What I do is add a little bit of each item at first with some saltwater and liquify it. Then I add some more and work on getting that liquid and continue to slowly add till its all mixed in. What I end up with is a very thick milkshake consistancy. You may need to add more water during the process to keep it from burning up the blender.

Yes you freeze it. I use lunch sandwidth sized ziploc bags. I pour enough in the bag so when its pressed out its not more than 1/4" thick. Then seal the bag and lay flat in a box or something so it frezes flat. A simple batch like I described might make 6-9 bags of food. Shoot you could even sell the food to pay for itself if you know fellow reefers.

Back
Top Bottom