?? For the salt people

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Supra

Aquarium Advice Freak
It's fine to do fish only in salt, but if you go fowlr you have to put enough pounds of live rock to match you gallons? How come you can't just put a couple live rocks in there? I understand that's the way it's done, but if you can go fish fish only......
Just something I was thinking about.
Supra

live rock is used for filtration, not just for looks. to maximize efficiency, a pound to a pound and a half per gallon is recommended.

If there was enough filtration for sea life to live happily in fish only, then you could add as much live rock as you want?
Supra

Yes, FOWL assumes that you are using the LR as your biofilter. If you are running some type of external filtration system than you can add as much or as little LR as you desire.

but live rock is said to convert nitrate to nitrogen gas, while other popular forms of filtration do not.

I dunno if i missed this, but if you go fish only you need some type of mechanical filtration be it bio-balls or some sort or cartridge filter.

I know I think X was trying to annoy supra lol. But yeah it wouldnt make a difference its better but wouldnt make a difference how much you added.

Remember also that nitrifying bacteria resides on surfaces. Your substrate, glass sides and overflows will house this bacteria. LR will hold more but in a FO you could get by with fewer pieces. But as Mr X said you wont have the aenorobic bacteria needed to get rid of nitrates.

Plus pretty much your only option for bio-filtration other than lr is a wet dry. And those aren't by any means ideal...

Plus pretty much your only option for bio-filtration other than lr is a wet dry. And those aren't by any means ideal...

Not at all, one could run an algae trough, an algae turf scrubber, an algae based fuge, or a DSB, none of which require LR, and all of which provide biofiltration. Even a shallow SB provides a significant amount of biofiltration, and all of them provide some method of removal for nitrates. Granted, as X pointed out, they are all more effective when combined with LR.

I know I think X was trying to annoy supra lol. But yeah it wouldnt make a difference its better but wouldnt make a difference how much you added.
i wasn't trying to annoy anyone.
he wasn't giving me much to work with with his vague responses-
If your fish only wouldn't you already have filtration
Supra
my answer was what it was, because i have no idea about supra's ideas about filtration. i thought that was obvious.

The reason I started the thread was because (in my head) I was thinking if someone had a fully up running, and functioning fish only tank, could they add just one live rock to grow some basic coral on ( star polyps ) vs adding a ton of live rock. That's what was going through my mind at that time.
Supra

it's a matter of water quality. you can grow corals on a piece of plastic, aquarium glass, whatever, but live rock helps with water quality (not to mention aesthetics).

Back
Top Bottom