Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-27-2005, 09:31 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to FeedingFrenzy20
FOWLR and a major algea problem

i have a 125 gallon tank with a 50 gallon refugium. Before i added the fuge i was having some problems with high nitrates. they have since went down and i am having a problem with my live rocks and back glass of the tank are covered in green sorta like hair algea. however i have a foxface and it doesnt eat the algea and it doesnt seem to be goign away with the lower nitrates. i also have no coraline algeas growing and my tank has been running for nearly a month. any ideas how to get rid of the nast algea that makes my tank look bad and how to induce growth of coraline algea

Old 02-27-2005, 10:03 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hair algae is not bad, its just a bit annoying to look at. I have it all over my tank, but I like it. My lawn mower fish eats it and seems very happy about it. I would suggest doing some algae harvesting (scrap it off) and get a lawn mower fish.

Old 02-27-2005, 10:19 PM   #3

i have scrapped it off and only made a difference for a couple of days to a week at the most. that was the point of buying the foxface but he doesnt pay much attention to it. not sure a lawnmower fish would go well in my tank because i have some rather large fish. however i was planning on getting some sort of tang in hope that it would help with controlling this.
Old 02-28-2005, 02:53 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

have you tested for phosphates? What kind of water are you using.

As for coraline, how is your calcium?
Old 02-28-2005, 09:37 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Coraline algae can take months to start, and if your cal and alk are not in balance then it will grow even slower if at all. You need to do a search on coraline algae in this fourm there is a ton of info in other posts.
HA is a PITA. Test for phosphates and let up know what the reading is. Also if HA is covering the LR the CA may not grow.

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 12:07 PM   #6

i use premixed saltwater made with RO water and regular RO water to top the tank off. never tested phosephates, calcium, or alk. if those are out of wack what should i do to get them in check and help the coraline algea grow. i was thinking of buying like 20 lbs of lr from Liverocks.com to help spark the growth because most rocks i bought from the lfs didnt have much covering.
Old 02-28-2005, 12:11 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well, you'd have to test Ca and Alk, and then use a 2-part system to bring both into better ranges, while keeping them in proper balance.

Be careful adding live rock. LR.com stuff is usually cured, but sometimes its not. I'd add it to a quarantine tank/bucket, with a powerhead and heater, and run it for a week, testing ammo, nitrite and nitrate.
Old 02-28-2005, 01:40 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you want to get the HA in check you need to have the water tested for phosphates, silicates you may want to test for this also.
Cal and alk are a must test for if you want coralline to grow. If you have no corals to use calcium then it may not be to far off as long as you do regular water changes to replace nutrients.

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 03:58 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to aquafreak Send a message via MSN to aquafreak Send a message via Yahoo to aquafreak
...a lawnmower blenny will eat it like crazy... may take some time but he is voracious. ...thought this might help.
Old 02-28-2005, 07:50 PM   #10

do they get very big because he would be in a tank with 2 sharks, a ray, and a large porcupine puffer amoung other fish.

Tags
algea, fowlr

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com