FOWLR and fake Anenome

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MaryPa

Aquarium Advice Regular
Will a tank bred False Percula use a fake Anenome?The anenome i saw looks very real,it even waves with the current.I have no experience with anenomes and am a SW newby.

Hi, Welcome to AA!!! :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros:
My guess is that your tank-raised clown will not look twice at the fake anenome. In the wild, clowns use anenomes for protection. A tank raised clown has never seen an anenome before and probablly has no idea what to do with it. This does not mean they will not host. I had a tank raised ocellaris that paired with my rose BTA so it can happen. I also think that the anenome beng fake has a lot to do with it. My LFS bought some and put them in a tank with some wild caught percs and they had nothing to do with them. They put in a live anenome and they hosted right away. Give it a try and let us know how it goes.

I would have to say that you made the right choice. Why not just do a lot of research and go for the real thing sometime down the road?

My experience with FW fish has taught me it`ll take alot more time before i`m ready for the "real " thing.I need to know i`m educated enough on SW before going pass the FOWLR tank stage :lol: I have learned patience thru this hobby.

Good for you! You have picked up the most important atribute in this hobby...patience.

Not sure if you are still looking for a false anenome for your clowns but I had a similar problem recently. I wanted to get an anenome for my pair of pecula clowns but had very little experience.
Having done a lot of research I decided it was better not to opt for an anemone as my inexperience and their difficulty with care would inevitably lead to its demise. I'm not one to give in so I asked around for advice.

I settled on a 7" leather coral with long polyp extensions (apologies I know they've got a technical term but I can't find my book to help me look less like a novice :oops:).
(I already have a small 3" leather coral which they used to guard but nothing more so I was a little dubious.)
At first my bicolour blenny used it until i found him a barnacle then after about a week or so the clowns starting cuddling underneath it and against it. Once the coral was settled and got full polyp extension (~3 weeks later) the clowns fell in love and have totally adopted it as their anenome.
They defend it against any potential invaders (mainly my yellow tailed damsel) and use it a a bed! Both rub themselves all over it and collapse on it as if it were a matress. I don't think they have ever been happier.

I have no idea whether my perculas are wild bred or captive as I took the tank on from someone else. So i don't know whether they have ever seen an anenome before. but the above worked for me.
I've had hours of entertainment and joy watching the pair of them in their new home.
Good luck. Hope this is helpful.
Best wishes
Liz

:D :D

that is a great idea Liz. In an aquarium you have lots of choices for live coral (providing you have the right lighting). My clowns hang out in my torch coral, hammer coral, hairy mushrooms and toadstool just as much as they are in my rose bulb tip anenomes. Many of these coral are easy to care for and provide a great alternative to an anenome. Keep in mind that clowns do not need and anenome in an aquarium, but it is a way cool relationship to watch. Also, there is no way to predict if a clown will take to a certain coral or anenome at all.

Well I don`t think an anenome is needed with this little guy.He/she has fallen in love with the Firefish Goby :lol: He hoovers above the tunnel the Firefish hides in and follows it when it come out :lol: I think they`re real pals.

MY LFS had an Anenome in it and it was about 1 and a half feet long I want to get one for my clown fish to "chill in" but I don't want it taking up to much space in my tank do they all get that big??? Also I saw just one clown in the Anenome will one become dominate of it and not let any others in? let me know thank you.

Back
Top Bottom