Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-28-2011, 03:38 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

FOWLR cycle question

Petco sells 5.5 gallons of saltwater that apparently has the perfect ph, salinity, ETC, whatever. I'm looking at getting a 15g aquarium. If I fill it with this water and add some cultured live rock, would I get a minicycle at best, or do I still have to wait for a cycle?

Old 04-28-2011, 03:48 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Well how cultured is the rock?? You will never know, I'm guess you mean it's been in another tank before, has it ever been in a chemically medicated tank?

you need your filter or your sump to mature, I recon you would get a little cycle, set it all up add a little piece of shrimp as a ammonia source and check your water the next week and do weekly water changes. When the ammonia is 0, trites are 0 and the nitrates are 20/30 or under your ready

Old 04-28-2011, 03:49 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

just curious, how much does that water cost?

I believe you would still get a minicycle that might last a couple days

When I set up my 36g, I used all premade SW and 36lbs of LR and had to cycle for 2 weeks. Maybe less, I did add a shrimp in there which prob made the cycle a bit longer
Old 04-28-2011, 04:22 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Well, at petco, it's 11.99 for 5.5 gallons. I work there, so I get it for a little under 9.75. I figure it'll be cheaper replacing 5 gallons weekly/biweekly with this water than losing fish due to using tapwater :/

And yes, cultured, I'll be buying the rock straight out of the tank from petco. My plan is to go there tomorrow and get the following...

Marineland Biowheel filter, 20 gallon
Powerhead rated at 150 gph
Sand
Few live rocks
Aquarium

Just gonna set it up!!
Old 04-28-2011, 05:23 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yeah, I thought I remember it being super expensive, but wanted to make sure. If you can find a local fish store, SW will be about $1/gallon, at least that is what I'm paying.

A 15g is a pretty small tank and I think the filter is enough at adding flow to your water, again, I'm not very sure so an expert would have to chime in. I have two HOB filters and its enough water flow for me

For LR, the general rule is 1lb per gallon.

A heater is also needed, a good temperature range is 76-80.

A liquid test kit is very useful but since you work at petco, you can just test your water there yourself =P.

You should rinse your sand first before adding it.
Old 04-29-2011, 05:21 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

you will still need to cycle your tank!!

David S is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cycle, fowlr

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com