Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-11-2006, 12:49 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

My first tank was a 20L tank with two clarkii Clowns.. all i had running on it was 2 HOB filters, one powerhead and about 10lbs of live rock.. i used Crushed Coral as my substrate. i had this setup runnong for about 6 months with no problems. but i was doing pwc's weekly. this was a nice setup at the time and it was fairly cheap for me to get started. now i have a 50 gal with 70lbs LR and numerous fish and its beautiful. but at the same time this required more money and knowledge to get going. there are many different directions you can go to make things easier; cheaper, but at the same time, you got to remember that the rewards for harder work and more money = better results. if you do start with just FO or FOWLR i can guarantee that you will find yourself looking into upgraded lights and everything to start doing corals, this hobby is very adicting and exciting. dont let the little things get in your way. the best advice i can give to you is to keep looking and this site and asking as many questions as you can, because the people on this site are absolutely amazing at answering any and all questions. also you may want to pick up some books to read..

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/saltbook.php

The New Marine Aquarium and The Conscientious Marine Aquarist are the most commonly recommended books throughout this site and are loaded with information... i hope my little blurp encourages you to continue to look into this wonderful hobby and i wish the best of luck to you... Keep asking Questions!!!!!

Old 01-11-2006, 02:01 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

I'm not sure what the rolly eyes is for unless its actually demonstrating my point. On the audio/home theater forums I participate in, Bose is definitely considered bad. That said, what are the requirements for LR? One of the reasons people I talked to thought that SW was not that hard was because I think they were literally doing Fish ONLY without LR. If LR is a benefit as a form of filtration, what are the downsides? Do you need special lights for LR? Do you have to have a protein skimmer with LR? Do you need one even if you DONT have LR? If you use LR do you NOT need any other form of filtration at all? or does it just cut down on the requirements. The people I talked to all admit to being out of the hobby for a while so they are not claiming their way is right just saying what they used to do. And yes, they used to run UGFs as well.

I know I dont want to get into reef at all but can someone kinda list the order of complexity/cost/equipment needed and what you can do at each stage from the bare min (say fish only, power filter, heater) up to just under the point of reef?

Fish - (4) Rosy Tetras, (5) Zebra Danios, (4) Platies, (3) Rainbows, (5) Albino Cories, (2) Ottos

Plants - Micro Swords, (2) Rotala, (2) Camboba

Light - 40w (~1.1 wpg)

CO2 - DIY generator with Hagen diffusor
imahawki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 02:14 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
The roll of the eyes is because most audiophiles do think Bose systems suck and since I’m not one I think they sound just fine. That and my hearing is going out on me and I have listened to $10,000 systems and can’t tell the difference.

With enough lr (ie: 1+ lbs per gal) and with good water movement (ie: 10 times turnover on your tank) lr can solely act as your bio-filtration. Protein skimmer isn’t needed for fo but is helpful in removing the DOC and keeping the tank clear. Main reason why I recommended the H.O.T. Magnum with bio-wheel is two fold in that it provides excellent bio-filtration if you don’t have lr and it comes with a micron filter to help eliminate excess DOC from the water keeping your tank clear.

With just that, a heater, and basic no lighting it’s really all you need to do a basic fo setup.

Edit: forgot some sort of sg meter as mentioned before.
Old 01-11-2006, 02:52 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

So if I did want to do LR for the filtration benefits does it require any special (by which I mean powerful like a planted FW not just actinic or whatever) lighting or is that just corals that need special light. Also, say I did LR could I use a cheaper power filter with a protein skimmer? Like a Marineland Emperor and a Coralife Super Skimmer? Then just add a couple heaters for redundancy and normal lighting?

Fish - (4) Rosy Tetras, (5) Zebra Danios, (4) Platies, (3) Rainbows, (5) Albino Cories, (2) Ottos

Light - 40w (~1.1 wpg)

Old 01-11-2006, 03:09 PM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

Basic lighting is all that's needed for fowlr unless you want to grow coralline which would require slightly higher lighting. If you go with enough lr then you don’t need a hob or canister at all, if you were thinking of less lr then 1+lbs per gal then you would want to get it. Either way you will need a couple of power heads for water movement/oxygen circulation. A Coralife Super Skimmer is a decent basic skimmer.
Old 01-11-2006, 03:25 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular

So I could go with ~1 lb/gallon LR (does that include live sand or is the totally seperate, also, is that a good metric as arent we concerned with surface area?) a skimmer, thermometers, basic light, hydrometer or refractometer, a couple power heads and that would be all I need?

Light - 40w (~1.1 wpg)

Old 01-11-2006, 03:44 PM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

You forgot a heater but yes that would do it. Just don't overstock the tank and you would be fine. ls is a separate issue discussed in this thread and this one
Old 01-11-2006, 04:06 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

i have the Coralife super skimmer on my tank and it works wonderfully!!!! i also have a HOB filter but i plan on removing it here really soon.. you will be surprised of all the junk the skimmer will bring out of your water. Good Luck!!
Old 01-11-2006, 04:29 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thank you guys for keeping up the good responses. Definitely moving from the probably not to probably so camp. Still need to pull together finances for the whole thing.

Light - 40w (~1.1 wpg)

Old 01-11-2006, 05:50 PM   #20
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by imahawki
Still need to pull together finances for the whole thing.
No problem. You could always sell your home theater setup. Once you get into reefing you wouldn’t have time to enjoy a movie anyways

Tags
fowlr

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com