FOWLR first fish??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Saltymex

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey there this is my first post. I just started My first saltwater setup about 3 weeks ago. I have a 55g with about 35lbs of live rock so far. Still adding about 10lbs a week. An I just put some striped damsels in a cpl of days ago. Everything seems to be fine so far ammonia an ph are right on. I was wondering besides fish. What are some key things to buy as far as cleaner fish. Algae eater. Snails or shrimp or whatever I just don't know what else is a must have for a saltwater setup

A must not have is striped damsels or zebra damsrls they are aggressive and mean especially when they are added to tank first ask most ppl agree remove them while u can buy chromis to cycle your tank.. A must have is a pair of, emerald crabs great at cleaning up algae also I use turbo snails and hermit crabs and this is spelt so wrong but nasarrious snails some ppl say sand sifting snails

A good clean up crew is nice but then you have to be careful if what fish you add some will eat your inverts or clean up crew. And yes get the damsels out while you can I put mine back in my tank for some reason and now I can't get them out without moving all my rock.

Trap them kj only way I can think they are little devils my pair killed a hawk fish of mine and many chromis I added two clowns to the tank with them they put them in line but had me worried for a while was like watching a boxing match the zebras small size have them speed but the clowns stamina and strength over came lol but they since moved tanks the zebras live happily with a goby and pistol shrimp in my 50 they love the room I want them to mate but my water might not b good enough

Yea I picked up 20 snails an 8 crabs.....any suggestions on some live plants? Or would a better route be artificial??

Just added two blue damsels an their chasing the striped ones around.

If they don't calm down u may have to move some one unless u don't mind loosing fish...

The stress from being constantly chased will kill a fish

What about some cool lookin shrimp? I got some crabs and snails. They seem
To be busy even tho my
Tanks only been going for a month or so.
An the fish stay hidden now. Like.... Don't even come up to feed

I love shrimp. Fire shrimp are awesome, extreme red very cool. i also like cleaner and peppermint shrimps. A bit cheaper than the fire shrimp. lol

carey said:
I love shrimp. Fire shrimp are awesome, extreme red very cool. i also like cleaner and peppermint shrimps. A bit cheaper than the fire shrimp. lol

Mine used to eat from my hand lol they are amazing

Do you HAVE to have some type of shrimp or crab or clean up crew? They all give me the eeby-jeebies.

You absolutely do not NEED clean up crew. If you keep control of your water, feeding, stocking and lights you shouldnt need creatures to eat algae. :)

Only get them if you like them.

Ok just out of curiousity...if you do have a clean up crew...do you have to count them in that so many inches of fish per so many gallons of water rule? Do you know what I mean? Also, is it the same acclimation process as when you get fish? Could I add them the same time I add my first fish? And I would need invert friendly fish right?

There is no formula for adding livestock in saltwater, the inch per gallon rule does not apply here. :)

If you want some snails and hermits they can be added along with fish. Just don't get so many that you don't have enough food for them.

There is no formula for adding livestock in saltwater, the inch per gallon rule does not apply here. :)

If you want some snails and hermits they can be added along with fish. Just don't get so many that you don't have enough food for them.

Carey you are so helpful :)

Back
Top Bottom