FOWLR for newbie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

willyboy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have been researching for several months on setting up a 20 FOWLR and I know that is a little small. I don't have a whole lot of money. How does this sound: 20lbs LR, sand substrate (the 20g is now a FW tank, can I clean the sand I have in there?),Ocellaris (tank bred) or Percula Clown, one clown goby or neon goby (tank bred), either a Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp or a Banded Cleaner Cleaner. For Equipment I have two Penguin Biowheel Power Filters, one for 20g and one for 10g, a small cheap skimmer (recomendation please!), a Coral Life 24in 50/50 flourescent light, and an appropiately sized heater. Do I need to add any minerals for the shrimp to molt correctly? Thanks for your help.

I would go with 30lbs of LR if you can afford it.

If you do that, a skimmer, and a couple of Powerheads you wont really need the HOB. I like the Aqua c Remora for the skimmer from the research I have done.

I dont think you can use the sand, you will need new sand. Also, have you ever used any medication or anything containg copper in the tank? If so, you cant keep inverts.

Others will help with the stocking, I am also setting up my first salt tank.

Mike is correct. If you can get 30LBs of LR in there, you won't need a filter. The LR/sand will give you the biological filtration you need, along with a PH or possibly two.
The sand, I dont know anything about FW. Is it silica based sand or aragonite? I would imagine you could use the sand in your FW tank, but I would get some more opinions, first. Aragonite is preferred, since it opens up options for clean up crew and sand sifting critters/fish.

Mike is also correct about the copper treatment. If it have been used in that tank, you will have possible problems keeping inverts alive in the tank.

Here are some fish that are considered nano fish, or at least better suited to smaller tanks:
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/scateg.cfm?pCatId=2124

a small cheap skimmer (recomendation please!),

If you are going for a FOWLR, you could probably skip the skimmer, for now, especially if money is a concern. This is one of the pieces of equipment, I have read you should not skimp on. With proper PWCs, and good filtration, you should be good without one. That is just my opinion. I have a 55G and don't use a skimmer. There are plenty of others that love them.

I dont think the sand is argonite. Argonite is not the best for F/W. It is probably silica based. Even if not, I still wouldn't use it.

So no amount of cleaning and sterilization can clean the tank of copper? I used something to get rid of algae and it says do not use wtih crustaceans, is that because it had copper in it? I only used it once, and that was like two years ago, since then I have "redone" the tank.

Do you remember what it was. Crustaceans are inverts, but it may have been something that effected the Ca levels in the tank.
I'm not sure if you can test for copper, but it leeches into everything, plastic, sand, rock, decorations, silicone. If there is a test (I can't imagine there isn't one), try it. I think there is maximum number that will effect inverts. You may want to wait for others to share their input. I believe the number is, anything less than .2 (but I could be totally off)!

I used AlgaeFix from Aquarium Pharmaceuticals. It only has the active ingredients on the bottle. I don't see copper or calcium labelled anywhere. They do have copper test kits, but if I test the FW will I be able to estimate the SW? The sand bag says it is safe for SW.

IMO I would replace the tank. If you have a stand/hood/canopy, whatever a 20 gal. tank itself is not to much to put your mind at ease. You are already limited with a tank that size so you want to keep inverts I am sure. Even if you could test for copper, you could get no reading and it could still be dangeorous for inverts IMO. It can seep from the silicone later.

I was worried about this same thing because I used Leaf Zone in a planted that I was going to convert to salt. The amount was very small but it is to much work to tear it all down after. May as well know you did it right the first time.

Back
Top Bottom