Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 07-08-2010, 10:02 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

FOWLR Lighting

Well here is the situation. I had a 20G tank just sitting lonely in the attic, and a stand for it just hiding in the backroom. So I filled it up with saltwater and tomorrow after work I plan to get some dry sand and LR. Anywho, after it is done cycling (doing the shrimp method) What restrictions are there on live stock with a standard fluorescent fixture? (used to be a FW setup) Obviously I don't plan to put an coral in there, but what about other inverts (urchins, crabs, feather dusters, lockness monsters, etc) ? Not really sure what fish I plan on putting in there yet, just got the itch to setup another tank.

nxb161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 10:46 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
There really is no limitations as to your imagination if you are doing FOWLR ... (or any that I can think of off hand )That being said I think you better find a large tank before having MTS to explain to the other 1/2 :p
I think 20 is a bit small for nessy but then again ya never know

Nanoreefing site
2 nanos
10 gallon ~6.5 gallon custom
Sadielynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 02:09 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm pretty sure you could do a FOWLR without light, because that's how one of my tanks are... Not saying that you should. Just throw a light on there so you can see the fish.

Crabs and urchins will graze primarily on algae, and algae only needs a little light to survive and thrive. Stick any desk light over your tank and you'll find algae growing on the sides eventually. And feather dusters to my knowledge (which is limited) are filter feeders and aren't phototrophs, so they don't require virtually any light.

If you decide to buy Nessie...pics or it didn't happen.
rive1404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 02:46 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Like the rest said, any light that suits you will be fine for a fish only. With the LR, anything that would need higher lights will just die off. Your limit would be the size of your tank. Always consider the adult size of the fish you put into that 20g.. Maybe two of the smaller clowns. You don't need an anemone for the clowns either.
Happy Reefing,
thincat is offline   Reply With Quote

fowlr, light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com