FOWLR lighting... (90g)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Justin_Toronto

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi All,

I have a 90g aquarium, starting a FOWLR setup.
I have my existing light ballast from my freshwater setup.
2x Flourescent tubes, 48" each.

Please keep in mind I prefer using my existing equipment, and not upgrading to MH or anything like that.

What is the proper lighting I should purchase for my FOWLR tank?
What is the correct light temperature? (I know for my planted aquarium I needed bulbs with a bit of a red tint to get the plants growing, whereas bulbs with a blue/purple tint helped turn the water green with algae growth.) What is the rule of thumb for a FOWLR setup?
Also, how many bulbs should I have going, I actually have 3 lights at my disposal. (all 48").

What schedule should I have my lights on, a 12 hour split.. or longer days?

Thanks,
Justin

You do not need any special lighting for a FOWLR tank. Any lighting will work. I set mine on a 11 hr schedule.

What you have is fine. Don't worry about it until you decide to go with corals. The timing is up to you, the less the lights are on, the less algae will grow

Jake

Thanks all. Is the same true for saltwater aquariums, that lights more in the 'blue' spectrum will cause more algae to grow?

I'm not 100% certain, but I think different algaes can/will grow under different spectrums. Easiest solution to keep algaes out....PWC and pristine water conditions.

Back
Top Bottom