FOWLR stocking advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Feron

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello.. starting yet another tank.. it's an up and cycled 90g bowfront oceanic with all the standard stuff (sump, skimmer, heater, uv, powerheads, CF lights etc).
Currently it houses a blue spotted puffer, diadem psuedochromi and a long nose hawkfish.
It had a blue devil damsel and a racoon butterfly, but one got hole in the head and the other a gas bladder infection.
So anyhow.. what are some good choices for filling out the rest of the tank?
So far, the only inverts are some larger hermits and some massive turbo snails.
I prefer colorful, larger fish for this tank, but am open to any suggestions.

TIA

Any tang will give you some color and size, and you get to pick what color you want! haha

There are some larger wrasses that if you got small and let grow would look really cool in there, and if acquired small should not bother the other residents. Something like a Coris or a Lunar wrasse. (assuming a sandy substrate deep enough for them.)

Crushed coral may make it tough on a Coris wrasse for sure. My Lunare does not burrow. He lays on the sand, and is happy. If you want a wrasse, just make sure you don't get one who likes to bury himself. Any of the Thalassoma wrasses should do well.

Even if the crushed coral is just a slight covering to a DSB?
The only reason it is there is because it was transfered from a previous tank (has all sorts of critters in it, so I didn't want to waste them).
Prolly should have said something more like 85/15 or 90/10 the sand to CC ratio..

Even if the crushed coral is just a slight covering to a DSB?

It will end up on the top of the sand. You could possibly move the CC to only one side.....

Anything rough would make a burrowing fish susceptible to scratching himself. But like I say, there are larger wrasse that don't burrow if that is what you want. But still may be ok if there is only a small portion of cc and the sand bed is deep enough.

Is a wrasse what you are leaning towards?

Really don't have much preference at this point...
Already decided to take the pseduochromi out and give him away to the store or a friend... he's just too aggressive... he originally lived with a decent sized tang and even intimidated it... he's a real terror..
Beyond that, I'm open to suggestions still :)
The burrowing wrasses are beautiful.. I don't imagine removing a good bit of the coral would be too difficult... just have to remove the puff and hawk first so I don't flip them out too bad with all the sand stirred up..

A Harly Tusk is a awesome looking wrasse.. definatly have my eye on it...spendy tho

I am considering one myself. He is very cool. I have a lunare now. They are cool fish and most wrasse are quite hardy. He is my longest lived fish in my tank. May become a bit aggressive though, that is why I suggest a smaller one and let him grow. My lunare grew up in my 55, moved to my 125, is not almost 6 inches long and doesn't bother anyone really. Cool fish.

Let us know how you decision shapes up.

Same thing here MACATUA my red coris is growing in my 55 and once he gets to big he will be sold back to the store. Unless I get a bigger tank . .

Back
Top Bottom