Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-24-2006, 12:57 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

FOWLR Stocking Questions

I have a 55g with about 60lbs. of LR. I have had it set-up for about 5 weeks now and and all is well. There are two damsels in there now and they are currently "adjusting" to the new lighting (Current USA 48" 4x65w). I eventually want to stock the tank with a tang of sorts, clowns (2) and a host anemone. I have a small problem with the sand which is the hair like algae. I bought a sand sifter star to try and help with it, but something seems to be wrong with him right now. He is missing half of a leg and I don't know how.

Final q's:
1) What is the easiest anemone to keep in a FOWLR tank that will also pair well with a False Clown Fish (Ocellaris)?
2) Would a Goby help me with the algae on the substrate?
3) What are some other fish that would get along with 2 damsels, 2 clown fish and a tang?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg saltwater_198.jpg (124.4 KB, 67 views)

Old 07-24-2006, 09:05 AM   #2
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

1)An anenomie needs to be in a mature tank.Most people say that it should be in a tank of 9-12 months. Newer tanks experience a little instability. I`m wondering if your tank has cycled yet. 2) A goby will sift the substrate but that is only a band aid solution. Need to find out what is causing your algea(excess nutrients). 3) Dwarf angels, Gobies or many other fish.
PS Make sure of your water parameters. Problems with your star fish could mean something is out of wack. If your parameters are OK the leg will grow back. Need anything else just ask

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 10:26 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to FishFrik
Quote:
1) What is the easiest anemone to keep in a FOWLR tank that will also pair well with a False Clown Fish (Ocellaris)?
You can't keep an anemone in a tank with parameters for FOWLR. Anemones should be keep in reefs as they are very sensitive. As melosu mentioned, they need stable environment or they will be a pain (trust me :/). If you decide to get one later on, bubble tip anemones are the easiest (of all anemones but still difficult to keep) and they host most clowns.

Quote:
2) Would a Goby help me with the algae on the substrate?
It wouud help you with the algae on the substrate but you will notice that when the algae on the substrate is gone, another type of algae will appear some other place. It's best you keep your PO4 low (0) than getting a fish/invert/medicine (band-aids) to temporary cure the problem.

Quote:
What are some other fish that would get along with 2 damsels, 2 clown fish and a tang?
IME... damsels are very agressive toward newcomers. From what i've read, ur damsels will harrass the clownfish and prevent them to pair into a mated pair. Just a head up

HTH
Old 07-24-2006, 10:29 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Is that a blue devil and yellow tail damsel? My blue devil is very aggressive.
I would thinkg the tank has been through the cycle, if you have hair algae in there.
melosu58 gave some very good answers. I have ont theing to add about the start, how long did you acclimate it? They are very sensitive to poor water qualities.

WELCOME TO AA!!

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 08:44 AM   #5

Thanks for all the help! Aquarium Adventure sales guy said the same thing which makes me feel better about going there.

P.S. The tank got moved last night. (my arms already ache) Here is an updated picture with the new stand. I like the angle myself.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img_2025_974.jpg (110.9 KB, 91 views)
Old 07-25-2006, 12:25 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to FishFrik
I see an improvement in aquascaping Good job
Old 07-25-2006, 12:48 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Very nice!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
Old 07-25-2006, 02:17 PM   #8

I have a thin layer of slime on the walls of the tank... I am guessing this is from the move although it only took about an hour. Could this mean that something other than amonia, no2, no3, pH or Alk is out of whack?? Are there any good tests that are not included with the Red Sea marine lab?
Old 07-25-2006, 02:25 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Can you get a quick pic of the slime? What color is it? You could try testing for PO4, but that test is not included in that test kit.

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
Old 07-25-2006, 02:51 PM   #10

I am actually at work right now... but the slime makes the glass look cloudy (slightly). I know that I do not have a phosphate test with my kit.

Tags
fowlr, stocking

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com