Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-04-2005, 05:32 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

FOWLR tank

I have the chance to buy a 200 oceanic tank and I'm thinking of doing a fish only tank. Is the upkeep on a fo tank more or less upkeep than a reef tank. I really want the tank but not at the expense of a reef tank.
I'll have 350 gallons of sw to contend with if I do this.

Old 02-04-2005, 05:46 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

maintenance will likely be more. You have to consider salt, RO topoffs, sand, lr, which will cost considerably more being this size. I will soon feel your pain though. I am looking at getting either a 240, or a 300 after my house is done.

Add these expenses up on a piece of paper and see if it would be worth it. The initial investment will be costly if you want to do it right, and the maintenance will be a little more costlier than a smaller tank. I suppose it could really depend on what tank you are going from?

Mike

Old 02-04-2005, 05:52 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have a 150 now, I would only do about 100 pounds of live rock at most. I want a open free swimming tank. I dont know what to do. I eventually in the next year or so want to go up to a 500 gallon tank so I need to think this through really good I guess.
Old 02-04-2005, 05:57 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

A 150 to a 200 shouldn't be that much more. If you want better filtration, I would go with more lr though if the budget will allow it. Or, if you want up to a 500G, I would wait it out since we are only talking about 50 gallons more. Then you can transfer what you have now, and add the addtional when you get the larger one. JMO.

Mike
Old 02-04-2005, 06:02 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
My tank cost a lot to upstart, but I love the stability that comes with a tank this size.
Just get a lot of rock ( I still need more) and a monster skimmer.
Water changes are a bit of a pain, I do 20 gallons every 2 weeks, once a week if i'm not too lazy.
its nice the flexibilty a tank this size gives you as far as animals go.

Tags
fowlr, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com