I was wondering why my ammonia never really got that high, and neither did my nitrites...actually I barely saw nitrites. And then after a few weeks there my nitrates appeared... Whew! My LFS
told me that the live sand and live rock most likely had enough bacteria in them to consume the ammonia, etc... But just be patient you might end up with a high amount of ammonia. Just keep an eye on the nitrates. When you see ammonia and nitrites at 0 and a nitrate reading, time for a PWC
and you're good. You're not changing water now right? Just top offs as needed?