fowlr tank soon to be in progress

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Benamayer said:
No sir. A lot of people will tell you they run 1026...

I like 1,026 myself, but in small tanks it's a good idea to run it at 1.025 only because it doesn't take much evaporation to make your salt levels go higher.. very quickly. If you run it at 1.025 you won't go into very high specific gravity levels as easily. It just gives you a little more room for evaporation before high salinity stress can hurt anything.

Still, if you always top off your tank or use an auto top-off system 1.026 is perfect. Just don't go anywhere during a hot weekend. ^_~

CorallineAlgae said:
I like 1,026 myself, but in small tanks it's a good idea to run it at 1.025 only because it doesn't take much evaporation to make your salt levels go higher.. very quickly. If you run it at 1.025 you won't go into very high specific gravity levels as easily. It just gives you a little more room for evaporation before high salinity stress can hurt anything.

Still, if you always top off your tank or use an auto top-off system 1.026 is perfect. Just don't go anywhere during a hot weekend. ^_~

Good call! I didn't really factor in the small tank evap consideration... But even in my 55, I'll
top off with a gallon and a half and it won't move my salinity down. It's all proportional really, as long as you do your top offs...

Benamayer said:
Good call! I didn't really factor in the small tank evap consideration... But even in my 55, I'll
top off with a gallon and a half and it won't move my salinity down. It's all proportional really, as long as you do your top offs...

Well maybe I'll take some water out and then top off to bring it down a little :) believe it or not, even tho its a small tank, not as much evap as you would think which is also good :)

Back
Top Bottom