Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-31-2012, 06:24 PM   #51
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm not sure but I might go pick up some live rock today after I'm done work, if I do, how many lbs should I get? Do I really need a lb/gallon??

Old 07-31-2012, 07:37 PM   #52
Aquarium Advice Addict

1-1.5 pounds per gallon would be you best bet. The reason being live rock actually helps filter the tank ALOT, and without it your going to need to beef up your filtration system. And it looks cool .

Old 07-31-2012, 07:40 PM   #53
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by crister13
1-1.5 pounds per gallon would be you best bet. The reason being live rock actually helps filter the tank ALOT, and without it your going to need to beef up your filtration system. And it looks cool .
Ok well hopefully they have some decent little pieces, I don't wanna overcrowd the tank as im still undecided if I'm going to do corals down the line.. or does it really matter how much live rock is in there??
Old 07-31-2012, 07:48 PM   #54
Aquarium Advice Addict

You won't overcrowd it. It kind of balances itself out. The more rock, the less open swimming space, the more hiding places and weaving through the rocks. I would get atleast 1 pound per gallon.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:55 PM   #55
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by crister13
You won't overcrowd it. It kind of balances itself out. The more rock, the less open swimming space, the more hiding places and weaving through the rocks. I would get atleast 1 pound per gallon.
Okay so I'll shoot for 15-16lbs, I'll try to post pics up later tonight when I get a chance
Old 07-31-2012, 08:25 PM   #56
Aquarium Advice Addict

Good idea.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:58 PM   #57
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok I only bought 10 pounds but its a decent amount bc it covers most of the bottom and if I decide to add corals down the line, I'll have more room. Instead of buying the regular live rock, I bought reef ready liverock, I'm gonna try n upload pics from my phone but I don't know if it'll let me. Let me know what you think!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120731_205752.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	109971
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120731_205700.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	109969   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120731_205725.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	109970  

Old 08-01-2012, 12:32 PM   #58
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanS180
Ok I only bought 10 pounds but its a decent amount bc it covers most of the bottom and if I decide to add corals down the line, I'll have more room. Instead of buying the regular live rock, I bought reef ready liverock, I'm gonna try n upload pics from my phone but I don't know if it'll let me. Let me know what you think!
Here's the problem with some, but definitely not all reef ready rock; it's mostly made of concrete, so you don't get nearly the same amount of internal filtration from the rock as real live rock. Generally a 10lb piece of reef ready rock is smaller than a 10lb piece of live rock. You are still going to need at least one other piece of live rock to "seed" the piece you have. Another issue is water displacement. Live rock displaces less water than many man made rocks so you loose water volume. in a larger system it isn't much of an issue but in a small tank it means something.
Old 08-01-2012, 01:19 PM   #59
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorallineAlgae

Here's the problem with some, but definitely not all reef ready live rock; it's mostly made of concrete, so you don't get nearly the same amount of internal filtration from the rock as real live rock. Generally a 10lb piece of reef ready rock is smaller than a 10lb piece of live rock. You are still going to need at least one other piece of live rock to "seed" the piece you have. Another issue is water displacement. Live rock displaces less water than many man made rocks so you loose water volume. in a larger system it isn't much of an issue but in a small tank it means something.
Well what does it mean? Lol and maybe I'll go get a piece of regular live rock
Old 08-01-2012, 02:11 PM   #60
Fish R friends, not food!

Off subject a little, but a background would help hide the cords and also bring out the colors of the rock and fishes when you get them.

spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fowlr, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com