Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-01-2012, 05:53 PM   #71
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

High range ph should come out like a purple color for 8.3 or so. The more brown it is the lower it is. I have no idea about a red result though. lol

Old 08-01-2012, 05:59 PM   #72
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanS180

Okay the only concern I have is that when I tested for HR pH.. the result was red and there isn't any red on the card lol is that bad??
Some API test kits come with two different color cards. One labeled freshwater the other saltwater. You need to have both cards in the box to know the actual ranges. I don't have the pH kit so I'm really not sure if the colors are different. You may need to get a saltwater specific tests for just one or two things. They're always more accurate anyway. For ammonia, nitrate and KH the API tests should be ok.

Glad to hear you got a piece of live rock. Can't wait to see a pic of your tank now! I love mini- reefs!

Old 08-01-2012, 07:16 PM   #73
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorallineAlgae

Some API test kits come with two different color cards. One labeled freshwater the other saltwater. You need to have both cards in the box to know the actual ranges. I don't have the pH kit so I'm really not sure if the colors are different. You may need to get a saltwater specific tests for just one or two things. They're always more accurate anyway. For ammonia, nitrate and KH the API tests should be ok.

Glad to hear you got a piece of live rock. Can't wait to see a pic of your tank now! I love mini- reefs!
I'm trying to upload photos but my app keeps crashing :/... I'll get on my laptop in a lil bit ans upload pics

I guess I'll have to go out n get specific tests, I don't wanna "assume" anything on my first SW tank ya know? Lol
Old 08-01-2012, 07:23 PM   #74
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

I'm trying to upload photos but my app keeps crashing :/... I'll get on my laptop in a lil bit ans upload pics

I guess I'll have to go out n get specific tests, I don't wanna "assume" anything on my first SW tank ya know? Lol
Did you check to see if any of your tests had a color chart for saltwater? I know a couple of my API tests have them.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:32 PM   #75
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorallineAlgae View Post
Did you check to see if any of your tests had a color chart for saltwater? I know a couple of my API tests have them.
Yeah i did look, unfortunately it looks like its specifically for freshwater :/
Old 08-01-2012, 07:58 PM   #76
Aquarium Advice Addict

ok so heres a couple pics of what the tank looks like as of right now. I actually really like the way it looks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Reef Setup 2.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	124.0 KB
ID:	110085   Click image for larger version

Name:	Reef Setup.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	166.8 KB
ID:	110086  

Old 08-01-2012, 08:06 PM   #77
Aquarium Advice Addict

oh and after 1 day of being setup and 1 1/2 days of a decaying shrimp in there here are my numbers.
HR pH... closest looks like 8.2 i guess lol
Ammona - .50ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 0ppm
Salinity 1.028 <--- high isnt it?? or is that bc of the shrimp maybe?
Old 08-01-2012, 09:30 PM   #78
Aquarium Advice Addict

1 more question that I just thought of, the pippete you use for the refractometer.. should you always use the same one or should I buy more of them??
Old 08-01-2012, 09:57 PM   #79
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
1 more question that I just thought of, the pippete you use for the refractometer.. should you always use the same one or should I buy more of them??
You can always use the same one as long as you rinse it out after each use with bottled or RO water, just like the glass on the refractometer. The idea is to not let any salt from the previous test stay on either the refractometer or the pipette. If any salt remains on them your readings will get higher and higher throwing off your test results, and yes.. 1.028 is to high.

Are you using RO water or salt water to top off your tank when the water level gets low?
Old 08-01-2012, 10:09 PM   #80
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorallineAlgae

You can always use the same one as long as you rinse it out after each use with bottled or RO water, just like the glass on the refractometer. The idea is to not let any salt from the previous test stay on either the refractometer or the pipette. If any salt remains on them your readings will get higher and higher throwing off your test results, and yes.. 1.028 is to high.

Are you using RO water or salt water to top off your tank when the water level gets low?
I haven't had to top off yet, tanks only been set up for 2 days, I actually had to take a little bit out to make room for the live rock lol and I'm using RO water.

And okay I didn't know you had to completely rinse them off. Guess I'll clean em real good then test salinity again.. maybe that's why its high

Tags
fowlr, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com