FOWLR Upgrade - What To Add?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rejoice

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi Everyone, I have had a great deal of experience in saltwater aquarium keeping, but in the past have always had the big predators (Lions, Triggers, etc) this is my first time with a community tank.

I am upgrading from a 65 gal to a 90 gal. Current occupants are a dwarf lion, a longnosed hawkfish (that hasn't grown in over a year and is only about 2 inchs) and a couple yellowtail damsels. I plan to get a captive bred clown in the near future (when one becomes available)

I would love some suggestions of fish that may would be a nice addition.

I've had nothing but bad experiences with Wrasses. The word Wrasse must be greek for wickedly evil. Even the little sixline I got turned out to be total jerk and tried to eat everyone in the tank.

Any suggestions?

captive bred clown in the near future (when one becomes available)
I dont understand this. There are captive bred clowns available now. Here is a link to one online site now that offers them http://www.etropicals.com/product/scateg.cfm?siteid=41&pCatId=1218

What I would watch though is with the lion fish it will at some point decide the damsels and clowns make a great meal. What size is the lion? Is it to a point where the damsels and eventual clown would be larger than the lions mouth?

Im a big fan of dwarf angels but again being cautious about it and the lion. A 90 would be a nice size for a moderate sized tang. Some pajama cardals or gobies are also good additions.

I mean when one becomes available in London Ontario. I know they exist, but wheter one is available to buy from my LFS instead of wild caught. Mail order fish can't cross the border.

My lion fish is only about 2 inches long, and doesn't bother anyone, he's rather well fed too. The damsels are a good size, about 1.5 inch.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Jess

You could go for the tang but be cautious with adding one into a tank with a dwarf lionfish. I have seen (and personally had) the tangs actually go and rip the lions fins, strange huh?

Also, if you can get rid of the damsels, unless you like them, by doing so you might be able to keep more types of fish. Even at little sizes they can be umm....swear words and such lol.

Not so strange, I had to get rid of a unicorn tang because it bullied my lions, my tank is a 300g and that was not enough space for that tang....lol

Your lion will grow faster than the clowns and than they may become a snack. A young lion can be fed small chunks daily but as an adult it should only be fed 2-3 chunks every 2-3 days. So even a well fed lion can eat clowns but a well fed adult lion can lead to the demise of the lion, it is a push pull situation you could be creating.

Kaye

Back
Top Bottom