FOWLR with no water changes in a year?!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VinnyLLU

Aquarium Advice Regular
Does anyone now how to get a self sufficient aquarium with no water changes like this guy on YouTube? He has what seems like a huge bioload for such a small tank and claims that he only does top offs with freshwater...

http://youtu.be/h7-18cWlJP4

Part of me doesn't want to believe it! I would love to know what his parameters are and what kind of system he is running.

I don't believe it for a second with all those fish and coral and not having cleaned the filter and a 5 nitrate. I don't think there's anyone on this forum that hasn't done water changes. Some do frequent water changes and still run into problems.

It's easy I dont do WC's either I pay someone else to do it. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Looks like the coral are fake but even so this guys full of .......His eyes are brown

I have heard of people claiming that there are bottle bacteria products that will mean no more water changes however I personally would not trust them and I would just stick with water changes

I don't think the tank looks good at all. It's a bunch of coral inserts and he has an algae problem, which would warrant a water change in my mind. The only thing he has accomplished is a pattern of neglect passed off as success.

I have a friend that got into saltwater and didnt change his water for a few months. His fish started dying so he called me and his nitrates tested off the scale over 120ppm. I took his fish home with me and it took 3 90% water changes in a 125 gallon tank. We went through two 200 gallon boxes of salt mix i had at the house and his nitrates only came down to 50ppm. We decided to just restart the whole tank with new sand, blasted all the extreme algae off his glass, equipment and rocks with better knowledge of maintenance for him lol.

$100 bucks says he either has someone come in and do the maintainance or adds a heapton of chems to rid the tank of trates

Back
Top Bottom