Fowlr with only a protein skimmer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SwimsWithFish

Aquarium Advice Addict
i was wondering if i could do my 55 gallon fowler with only 30 lbs of live rock and a protein skimmer.
would that work or would i need a sump?

You'll need some sort of filtration in my opinion. Mechanical at least for getting particulate matter that youre skimmer shouldnt and cant get to.

If it comes down to it you can easily use a hang on back filter or a canister filter if you aren't wanting to do a sump. I have a canister on my 55g and all it needs is to be properly maintained.

Also a filter will be a good place to put any chemcial filtration media such as GFO if you need it or carbon.

In addition, if you wanted to forgo any filters then I would say to up your rock amount by ALOT. It will act as your primary biological filtration in the tank. It's recommended to have 1.5 to 2.0 lbs per gallon. :)

Hope that helps

yes, you can keep a fish only with live rock tank with just rock and a skimmer. i also agree that you should add more rock, but as long as you keep the bio load manageable, you'll be ok.

Yeah I decided today I'll be doing protein skimmer, aquaclear 70 and 50 punds if lr

Back
Top Bottom